1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses that every player should have in their toolbox:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by In Absentia, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    1 G&L L2k is all you need

2. Happy P and J owner here

no complains at all, love em both

3. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Fender MIA Standard 08 Fretted Jazz
    Fender MIA Standard 08 Fretless Jazz
    Fender MIA Standard 08 Fretted P
    Fender MIA Standard 08 Fretless P

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't have any of those, and I've managed to make a living playing bass just the same.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

100 percent agree.

6. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I don't have, or need any Fender.
    I have done very well with my present stable: Carvin LB75, Modulus Quantum 5, and a good quality acoustic bass. No one has ever asked me to use anything else. I get great tones from those instruments, both live, and in studio. My fellow musicians like the way I play the instruments I use. Dozens of sound guys at clubs, recording engineers, and every one of them has been happy with my sound.

I have picked up and played many Fenders, and some were real nice, but none of them ever felt like *my* bass, so that's why I don't have any.

7. Coachden

Coachden

Dec 13, 2006
    Pittsburgh Pa.
    I've got a 73 fretless p bass , a newer MM sting, a 5502 laker, and breedlove acoustic. I use them all for different reasons and sounds. I even use them in different bands. I'm always searching for the bass that cut's through my hearing loss.

just thought you might like to see the 73

Attached Files:

8. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Here is my two cents:

A 4 string tuned EADG
    A 4 string tuned BEAD
    A Good 5 string
    An electric -acoustic 4 or 5 stringer
    A semi-hollow, if you play Beatle's music.

Peace:bassist:

9. -i have a fender american deluxe active
    -a fender highway one, usa
    -a lakland joe osborne fretless
    -an ibanez afb hollowbody
    -and an aria sinsonido travel bass

i find myself playing the fender am deluxe about 90% of the time, except when i'm travelling on business and play the aria. all my basses have thomastik infeld jazz flats on them, except the highway one, labella tapewounds. the lakland is a really beautiful bass but i need to have more time to practice intonation....

i have too many basses and not enough time. but if i only had one, it would be the fender am deluxe (beautiful quilted maple by the way!). i think i'm gonna name it "stella mae" after the john lee hooker song!

10. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    You asked for opinions, and you are getting them. But it's starting to look like you don't really want disagreements.

11. Exactly. I think the OP wasn't as interested in opinions so much as he was in starting a mutual admiration thread for his favorite brands. That comment about bassists who choose high-end instruments being "unable to play their way out of a wet paper bag" was little more than an insecure tantrum from someone who believes that their personal preferences are "all anyone needs." :rolleyes:

12. I'll be the lone jack ass screaming this all day long. THE ONLY THINGS A BASSIST NEEDS IS TIME FEEL, GOOD NOTE CHOICE, UNDERSTANDING OF HARMONY AS IT PERTAINS TO CREATING BASS LINES, AND THE ABILITY TO PULL A GOOD SOUND FROM WHATEVER INSTRUMENT THEY PLAY!

Peas and Carrots, Jacks and Jills aren't gonna help a bit with out MUSICIANSHIP!

A P bass doesn't give you the feel Jamerson had, A J bass doesn't give you the command of the musical language that Jaco had.

It's not about your gear. If you show up to a jazz gig with a warlock, you may get strange looks, but if you make it swing nobody will care.

LEARN HOW TO PLAY WELL!

13. I think every bassist should have 3 types of bass instead of specific ones:

a vintage type (fender P, J, etc...)
    a modern type (sadowsky, mtd, warwick, modulus, etc...)
    a fretless

14. Something that cops a vintage tone, something that cops a modern tone. Get the right pickups and pre-amp and ye can do it all with one bass. Truth be told, you can get most basses to work in most settings if you know how to EQ it right or are bad-ass to get it to slide. My Rob Allen might not work in death metal, but that's far from my goal.

15. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I didn't start this thread to receive any "mutual admiration" for my favorite brands. In fact, Fenders and EBMMs aren't my favorite brands. If I could afford a Fodera, or a Ritter, or a USA Lakland, etc., I'd own one. I just wanted to have a conversation about what everyone thinks is essential for THEIR purposes. I don't care if you don't want to play along.

Debased, you are pretty well off-base.Look at the original comments. I referenced that many that own expensive basses look down on others that play mass-produced basses, and that in my experience, many bassists that own them don't do their expensive instruments justice. It wasn't meant at you personally, but if you take it personally, I think you should ask yourself "why?" Like I've said, I love boutique basses. LOVE THEM!!! But, I personally think there are some standards that many players have in their arsenal for different applications. I was trying to find out why people pick what they pick. Comprende?

And yes, I know that playing the instrument is the most important thing. I've been doing this bass thing for quite some time. But since this is the only thing that matters, I'm sure that those that think this play First Act basses from Wal-Mart, right?

16. p bass
    j bass
    spector 5 string

17. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Yeah, I agree with this. I'd love to get my hands on a Nordstrand custom. I think that I could handle most of what I want to do with one. I feel the same way about Dingwalls.

18. No, I don't. I play a Pedulla, it doesn't make me a better bassist though. I do think it's versatile and can cop many tones, I also know how to get different tones out using my hands. It's just a little nuts how much emphasis people put on gear in this forum. My point is that gear doesn't make you a good player, playing does.

Plus I think this idea of "basses every bassist should have" is crap.

Here's a thread idea, notes every bassist should play.

19. how long ago was that pic taken?

20. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I see. You hang out in a forum for bass guitars, but don't wanna talk about bass guitars. I get it. :rolleyes:

BTW, I wasn't talking about owning basses making you a better player. You are confusing two separate concepts.