1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses that just work with _____ genre!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Knowlton, May 13, 2011.

1. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I was looking at the gallery for a local blues band. Good music, but I just can't believe that you can play the blues with a Ken Lawrence bass! :p

Any more examples?

Dan K.

2. Basses that just work with "every" genre... Fender P, baby! :cool:

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Whoops! I meant DOESN'T work with but let's try it this way first!

Sorry!
    Dan K.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    You can play any music on any bass.
    But a bass player in a metal band playing a pink hello kitty bass may look silly

5. southpawpa

southpawpa

Feb 16, 2011
    I know a guitarist in a death metal band who used a Hello Kitty guitar. He put the hottest bucker in there he could find. :)

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    A Jazz or P bass can fit any genera known to man :) Get a jazz and P in one bass and you are set for anything :)

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Why not? I've played tones of blues on my Roscoe. I don't see what the brand of a bass has to do with playing blues.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I used to show up to the open mic night at this bar in Encinitas with my KL - folks would look at me strange but always compliment the tone...

9. Makes no difference what the blues man plays after some suttle adjustments (mostly minuses) he gets his sounds. Their built into the hands, ears and soul, he'll find his sound regardless of the gear. I've seen my buddy Lucky Peterson play with different amps (blows em up, hahahaha) and different guitars yet his sound always comes through. I prefer my choice of strings (laBella deeps) over a brand bass or amp, I'll find my sound on there pretty quickly. Doc

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You can any bass to sound good in any genera (in most cases, there are a few that you just can not)...

But if you are in a Blues band with a 7 string, boutique beautiful wood designed bass... You are going to stick out in a blues band.

If I bring anything besides my P-Bass to a blues gig the leader looks at me with a look... even if its a jazz bass with the same sunburst finish! He wants just a P-Bass, he wants that sound a look I guess...

11. Dan Knowlton

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Well, my Brase is a cure for the blues! So, it makes it hard to play the blues when you just CAN'T get in that frame of mind!

Dan K.

12. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    umm, it wasn't the bass...

:bag: :D

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Some of the less conservative looking basses might look odd in some music genres like pop and country. But may sound fine. Modern sounding basses probably arent the best choice if doing a old rock cover band thing or other music that calls more for old school vintage passive tone.

14. Or ballsy, depending on your take on things.

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I saw the Vandals a couple years ago and the guitar player was playing pink Hello Kitty guitar through the whole show.

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Lol I understand ;)

17. I always thought it would be kinda funny to buy on of those, and put a pink Dimarzio X2N in it (maybe thats what that guitarist put in there, its the hottest guitar pickup dimarzio makes). Would at least confuse people.... massive crushing tone from a hello kitty guitar????

18. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    get any bass, any a 60 buck rogue and a rakcmount graphic eq and you can make that bass sound like the mirv station in you want.

19. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    sorry to go off topic, but how versatile is this pickup configuration?
    19_59_5254.

20. Pretty versatil in which u have a good growly tone from the bridge,punch and mids from the p and a whole nother mosnter when combined I'm sure

I would say a stinggray and jazz basses go with ska and reggae type bands