1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses with narrow neck but full scale (33"+)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eyeball226, Mar 31, 2009.

1. eyeball226

eyeball226

Mar 10, 2009
    Are there any affordable basses that aren't short scale but do have a narrow neck? I have quite small hands and the neck width that basses like P and J basses reach at the top end of the neck is really uncomfortable to me.
    Short scale basses usually seem to have a narrow neck, but I feel that there is some tone tradeoff with a shorter scale.
    Does any one know of any Fender style basses with a narrow but full scale neck? My budget is miniscule too I'm afraid, but all suggestions welcome.

2. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Most Peaveys and Ibanez' are known for some skinny necks. Check out the Zodiacs of the former and the SR's of the latter.

3. Any Ibanez with an SR neck. They are the thinnest necks that I know of and they can be had pretty darn cheap.

Ox.

4. Fender Geddy Lee jazz has an even thinner neck than an Ibanez Soundgear. You can find those used in the $500-$600 range if you look.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    For your budget, a Fender Geddy Lee. Another is a Danelectro short or long scale. Affordable, funky, stylish.

If you have more money, a Levinson Blade Tetra. It's a hot rodded Jazz clone with and thinner, flatter neck that a Geddy. Its's 1.5 at the nut, but has a 15 inch radius board. The neck is thin all the way up to the body.

www.bladeguitars.com

The recent victory on Fender style bodies and necks will hopefully see more of their product in the states.

6. Peavey Millennium... Very good bass, Very low price, very thin neck, ace sounding, amazingly comfortable, nice finishes

what more could you want (Except 24 frets and the possibility of a 6 string model...)

:bag:

7. Are you looking for thin (front to back thickness) or narrow (string spacing/top to bottom width of neck)?

I own a very narrow Fender made bass - but they're not cheap to come by (~$800) and they're tough to find.

8. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Ibanez had one out last year that had the thinnest neck I've ever seen, but was still full scale. I don't know what it was called, though.

9. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Any Fender American Deluxe, seriously.

10. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not sure whether the OP is asking about front-to-back or side-to-side... but assuming it's side-to-side, Rickenbackers maintain a slim width all the way up to the top (i.e., highest-pitch) frets. Then don't spread out as much as Fenders do.

11. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    sx 5 string jazz are super tight spacing i like em . older carvin lb 75 also

narrow and 34 scale both of the above.

also if your rich, some old alembics series 2 i think they called? are super narrow

12. eyeball226

eyeball226

Mar 10, 2009
    Ah yes, I meant narrow as in string spacing. I find the spread on Fenders uncomfortable for my small ladylike fingers. Thanks for the huge number of suggestions. I'll have to go off and have a look out at my music shops.

@Jjango: I'd love a Ric but I've no hope of ever owning one (unless the members of this forum are feeling extremely charitable* ;D). They're one of the models I was aware of having a narrowish neck, unfortunately they're so damn expensive... more so in the UK.

*actually, I wonder... if I were set up a paypal account...

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My Soundgears have thinner necks than my friend's GL.

14. eyeball226

eyeball226

Mar 10, 2009
    Are we talking thinner or more narrow here?

15. 90's Peavey Foundations, Furies,and Forums all have very skinny necks.

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The most narrow (side to side) full scale necked bass I've ever owned is the Fender Performer from the mid '80s. Very narrow string spacing.

Fender_Performer.

17. eyeball226

eyeball226

Mar 10, 2009
    So, how about this "you all give me money to buy a ric" idea? =D

18. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Truth - I loved mine and it was tiny at the nut.

This bass became the Stu Hamm Urge bass FWIW - could look that direction.

19. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    either the Geddy or a Yamaha RBX4 A2

20. eyeball226

eyeball226

Mar 10, 2009
    Are people definitely talking about narrow as in narrow string spacing, not the thickness front to back? I don't mind the front to back thickness, as long as it's not thicker than normal, it's just the left right width I care about.