1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists Who Sing, Check This Out

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stampy, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
  2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think that for someone like me who owns a small powered mixer PA and the band mixes from stage, it would be a cool thing. When a bigger PA and a dedicated sound guy are available I'd leave it out.

KO

3. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Hmm, that looks cool. I like that you don't need an input from keys or a guitar.

Time to save up some gig cash.

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I think they may have been out a while, at least in some version or another. Seems like they came out a couple years after the Guitar Performer and Bass Performer.

I could use the pitch correction tools, and have considered one just for that feature alone.

dcr

5. Cool. Gotta love the death-metal chick.

6. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    She gave me nightmares:bawl:

7. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I think these are nice for changing the reverb and eq per song or even in the middle of a song for a bridge or an intro part.

8. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    All those effects (distortion, reverbs) will really rock your monitor mixes...:rollno:

I don´t understand it...

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Meh?

11. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't see where this is confusing. It goes between the mic and the input of the mixer. The monitors and mains will see the same effected signal. Like I said above, this would really shine for small PAs. If there's a sound guy that works for the band and knows where to add effects, forget it. Most of the time the sound guy doesn't know the band or their material. In those situations having the singer, who presumably does know the material, controlling vocal effects isn't a bad idea.

KO

12. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    There isn't a little box made that can make me sound good! I'll pass!

13. MattAT

MattAT

Jun 24, 2008
    Wheeling, IL
    Awesome. It looks like a lot of fun.

14. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    This thing looks killer to me! I have been THE singer (as in the one and only) in most of the bands I've been in, and getting any sort of harmony going on vocally is always spotty.

This is the first box I've seen that can add harmonies just by telling it the key and the interval you want to use. All the others I've seen require a guitar, keyboard, or midi input to derive the harmony from. That's useless for me.

I have a TC Helicon Vocal Create pedal that sounds awesome, but the Boss unit does everything it does and a lot more.

My prediction: They will sell a lot of these things, including the one I'll buy :)

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    LOL. I might actually buy this. Crazy but true!

Personally I dug the death metal chick, but she kindof needed to be a little more into it IMHO. To much just standing there and not enough of the "screaming at your boyfriend for cheating on you and dumping you in an insane asylum" stance/vibe.

16. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Actually, I´m quite aware how it works (as I´ve done sound for a living for 15 years), but my point is:

Monitor mixes are usually kept clean of effects for a reason, hence the :rollno:

Having distorted vocals in your monitors, or nearby vocal PA, will almost invariably lead to massive feedback. And I fail to see the logic behind live pitch correction for 2 reasons:

1. Pitch correction algorithms of present day aren´t even remotely fast enough (glitches in tracking etc.) nor sound good enough for live use.

2. If the singer can´t sing in tune, shouldn´t he/she be taking singing lessons?

Thus, I don´t see this going far. The pedal might have limited use and popularity, but still... There have been similar pedals before, and none of them made it very good...

Oh, and the pitch shifting on the death metal clip was ridiculously cheesy.

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Auto-tune has been around for years. T-Pain anyone?

I can totally see some b-boy rapstar wannabe's buying this LOL :D

18. That does look pretty damn interesting :D

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That would help me a ton although the harmonies sounded very digital and fake. Everything else seemed pretty cool though.

20. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I like it for the doubling and looping. I too am the only singer in the band and having the vox doubled in the choruses would be nice. I'm sure I could do it with a delay but having the other features will be nice.