1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists you just can't watch

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by aks_29, Jun 16, 2007.

1. I was watching a Phish dvd today and realized that I just can't stand watching Mike Gordon play. The way he has his left hand all scrunched up and the way he plays with a pick so slowly and softly. I just find it really annoying to watch. I do however think he's a very good bassist I just can't look at him while he plays ;).

Does anyone else know of any bassists like this or am I just crazy?

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes.

3. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I love watching Mike play. He's so fluid with the pick.

4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'm not a tremendous Phish fan, but I don't like watching Mike play either. That same weird head bob he does for every song that doesn't seem to be on beat with the music. Oy. haha.

5. Watching him is better than smelling him.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Truillo from Metallica.

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Verdine White. Love his playing, hate to watch him live.

8. I saw the Yellowjackets last Thursday..Jimmy Haslip is absolutely one of my all time favorite bassist but I really don't like to watch him play. His bass is left-handed and strung upside down and he has some strange facial expressions.

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Me!:p

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't like to watch Nate Mendel from Foo Fighters. Killer bassist but looks like he wandered into the wrong band by mistake.

11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Petty much any rock bassist who plays pickstyle strumming up high towards the neck(and I don't mean picking clearly up there--just sort of strumming--and not as an occasional effect, but as their main style). You just know they're making a horrendously messy undefined racket that the soundman/engineer is having to mush into the mix to get it to work.

12. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I agree with this, I always think of it as the mark of a not very good player. Except Lou Barlow from Dinosaur Jr. because for some reason when he does it, it sounds like it couldn't work any other way.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Flea...

14. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I can't watch Trujillo.

15. i can't remember his name, but i hate watching the dude from Melvins and Tomahawk, i'm not sure why either, cause hes a great bassist :s

16. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I can't stand watching Pete Wentz (a lame emo band I won't name here) play!! It aggravates me to no end. Not only does he "play" a bass like it's a guitar, he can't play live to save his life!!!! Aggggghhhhhh!!!!

Watch if you dare...

17. wow... how can he even play like that?

Does there singer leave out parts of words on purpose? Or does he have an accent?

18. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    +1

was just gonna mention him.

19. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

Jun 2, 2007
    sparky from complete he plays with no feeling and whats with the dr. seuss hat?

20. Better question, Can he even play?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021