1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bassmasta....gone??

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by richard simmons, Dec 9, 2006.

1. richard simmons

richard simmons

Jul 20, 2006
    I just tried to find a song on www.bassmasta.net, my favorite tab site, and no songs are there. It says:

This guitar tablature file of (enter band and song name here) has been removed due to legal reasons. We thank you for your support. Good luck figuring out this song! We know you can do it!

I liked this site a lot, and I'm really pissed. I hope this crap can be resolved soon.

2. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    This was also a favorite of mine.

This whole attack on tabs is irrational and has to stop.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I hope so too, but I'm not expecting it.

This nonsense has led to many sites going away and not coming back.

4. richard simmons

richard simmons

Jul 20, 2006
    I doubt that all tab sites will ever be shut down, seeing as how the music industry can't even shut down all the illegal downloading services (limewire). This fiasco is still absurd though.

5. Its a shame, not just with bassmasta but all the sites, alot of younger bass players start learning through tabs, its like taking the first step away from them, i wonder if in some way this will affect the number of younger people who take up instruments like the bass or guitar?

6. bassarchive,net (i think it was called) was shut down two days ago, so I checked out bassmasta yesterday and loved it, now its gone. A google search of "bass tabs" had many results but ALL OF THEM ARE SHUT DOWN! Anyone have another tab site because tabs are basically my only means of learning right now. I don't think the industry understands how badly this is affecting everyone who learns their instrument through the site. Cant we start a petition or something? This is really crazy that a non-profit tab made by some someone is illegal.

O god I might have to get lesson now :bawl:

7. Its affecting me right now. Im trying to do my daily practice but all I can do is the 4 songs I know by heart...

8. brandrum

brandrum

Aug 17, 2006
    you could always learn them the old fashioned way.

9. Im trying to, but I have yet to learn the sound of every single fret, that comes with time, making it much harder then it would if the music industry wouldnt send out the attack dogs on everything.

10. It lives on in the past. Go to the Wayback Machine (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php), type in the URL and press Take Me Back. Pick a date and you can access the site as of that date. You won't be able to do some of the interactive stuff like leaving comments, but you can get to the tabs still.

11. brandrum

brandrum

Aug 17, 2006
    but learning songs by ear will speed up this process.

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh my god, this is ridiculous. Im a young bass player. I've been playing for a year and I havnt had one single lesson. Ive just read tabs and learnt new things as ive progressed. I dont like the idea of lessons. So i just sit down, read a tab and learn my fav songs. With Bassmasta gone, that leaves what? Ultimate Guitar? Half the BASS tabs at half the quality. As you can understand, I am very... very... very pissed off! I found this site a long time ago, about 2 months after I started playing. Ive already signed it about 3 times with different names and all my emails (is that illigal? Hehe oh well :D) But i urge all of you who havnt signed it to go and sign now.

http://www.tabaid.com/

13. Wow I should have thought of that, you rock :cool:

14. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Ohhhh, you legend. :D

I love you :p

:eyebrow:

15. Bassmasta isn't completely down. They've taken down a fair amount of tabs for "legal issues," however you can still access a lot of the tabs on the site. I think they mostly just took down the really popular ones like Rage Against The Machine and Red Hot Chili Peppers. There's plenty of others though, so maybe that means Bassmasta plans on coming back in full force in the future?

In the mean time we should attempt to tab out every song that we can think of. I would try to lend my skills but sadly I really can't learn by ear. But I know we have some good tabbers here, let's get cracking!

-Lokkenjawnz

16. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Erm, you sure? I just checked all of my favourite bands and not one tab is up. I listen to metal bands, mostly from Finland and Sweden too, so you wouldnt expect them to be really popular... Some of the Misc tabs are still on though.

17. Oh i don't believe this, i am a budding bass player too and have the fun is learning tabs to your favourite tracks, this is getting ridiculous.

18. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I have it bookmarked on my computer and was able to go right to the sight and print out some Red Hot Chili Peppers tabs. I did have problems however geeting Toll bass tabs and got that error message that we are speaking of.

19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Cool!, Thanks!

Yeah, ASCAP and BMI are going after all tab and lyrics sites. I guess they want us to pay $20 a song or whatever for sheet music, if it existed for every song thats tabbed. :rollno:

20. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Pretty much all the tab sites have been shut down recently. Ultimate-guitar.com is pretty much the only one left. It's based in Russia so RIAA aren't sueing it any time soon.