1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basswood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspraiser, Nov 25, 2018.

1. geezerjazz

geezerjazz

Feb 4, 2011
    ERIE, PA USA
    The Aerodyne Jazz has a thinner, sleeker body than most basses...I wonder if that was the cause. I'll have to pay attention to that the next time I'm checking something out in a music store.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  3. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Yeah, I put in longer bridge screws on my import Sterling (SB-14). The stock ones were fairly short (and the body is basswood, but I made the swap because they just seemed rather short to hold well enough for a bridge.) Carefully tightened and no issues at all.

Otto

4. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
  5. I believe Alain Caron's original Blue BN6 F-Bass 6 string had a basswood body.
    I got to lift it once, and it wasn't light.

I also had a basswood Charvel (non-pointy headstock) and I remember the wood under the finish being an almost featureless pale white.

6. Basswood will strip easier than other woods but it's a degree of difference not polar opposites as musicians like to make things. If an idiot tries to crank down his bridge screws as hard as he can in basswood he will strip the hole and blame the cheap crappy basswood, in hard maple he'll break the screw and blame the Chinese potmetal screws. It will never be the fault of the idiot.

Stevorebob likes this.
  7. Do you have a link to this?

8. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I use 3/8" long pickguard screws on most bodies. It is strictly better, IMO.

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    My new p bass has a basswood body and looks and sounds great. One of the best playing basses I own. IMG_0947.JPG

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Basswood I think gets a bad rap-maybe in part because it sounds like "balsawood" which isn't exactly sturdy. I have had and own a few basses made of basswood, some with a thin layer of finish are prone to dings, Fender JP-90 for example, but the lighter weight makes up for it imo.