1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battery Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamie'sdad, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Folks,

Have searched and can't find this one already.

After peoples recommendations for batteries for a bass with bartolini PJ setup (single battery).

Have used Energizer, Panasonic etc but was wondering what people have found to be the one with decent life.

Cheers,

A.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I"ve been playing basses with active pre-amps since my first StingRay around 1979. The ONLY time I've had battery issues is the one time I used a NeverReady alkaline battery. DuraCells for me, or their bulk ones labeled Pro-Cells.

jte

3. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    If you're battery compartment is tight, I would avoid the Duracells. They are slightly wider than other 9vs and some of us here have found that they don't fit well. I need two 9vs for my Millenniums, and with Duracells it's impossible to screw the battery compartment lid back on in such a way that the lid is flush with the body.

I use Energizers.

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    dont go for rechargables. they use a slightly lower voltage, and hence dont last as long as a single-use.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The name brand batteries are probably all similar. I use DuraCells. Probably because I had a nearly-new Energizer go dead on me once - but I didn't check the date on the package so it might have already been real old when I bought it.

6. I'm pretty sure these things mostly come out of the same factory. It doesn't matter at all. Buy a decent alkaline and be happy! Make sure to uplug your bass between gigs or rehearsals/practice, and pick a day to change the battery every year (like your birthday or something so you don't forget).

7. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Besides battery size as mentioned above, any alkaline should do; just don't get the "heavy duty" batteries--while alkalines present a fairly consistent voltage across their life, HD's voltage drops as the battery is used up.

8. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I would have to say Durracell is the most reliable. Stay away from panasonic, they are sold as a budget battery and they suck.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...Procells. Look for a bulk deal.

10. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn. Supporting Member

The longest life will come from a lithium battery, but they are expensive. The most common brand that I've seen is "Ultralife". Do a web search and you'll find a huge range of prices, with $6 each being about the best you'll find (and I've seen them for twice that, so it pays to shop around). It seems like a lot for one battery, but they last at least four times as long as an alkaline, and really, it's only a few bucks.

They also help if your bass is prone to mood swings. :bawl::D:hyper::mad::eek:

Reid

11. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    prozac. :D