Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bay area jam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by violatedppl, Sep 22, 2005.

1. does anyone from the san fran bay area want to try and get together for for a little jam and shooting of the you know what some time.

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I might be interested in a get together like the talkbassers in other areas have done. I don't have the time to organize such a thing, though. I know there are lots of folks on here within a reasonable trek of the bay area or within it already.

If someone wants to organize it, that could be a lot of fun.

If you mean a jam for the sake of jamming, I really have more projects than time right now.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I'm in. I won't embarrass myself by playing in front of you all, but a meet-n-greet would be cool. Now, if we could just find a sponsor. . . .too bad Juan Ortiz is too far away up in Rancho Cordova. Anyone else?

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm in the Bay area and have a flexible schedule... when are we talking about doing this? And where? I volunteer to help organize.

What basses will be there? I'm a one bass at a time kind of guy, so I'll only have a Smith BSR6EG.

Amps and cabs.... Eden Nav, Crest CA9 and Epifani NYC 310, 2-110's and 2-112's....

No pics of the Smith yet.... I don't get it 'till Saturday.

[​IMG]

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    (gaping jaw)
    look at all those epifani's!!! Door prizes??
    wishful thinking?

I'll bring my Sadowsky.

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Door prize? Maybe that's a way I can unlaod some of this stuff!!

I have no door prizes in mind, I'm just hoping that we can find a place big enough and that will accomodate folks bringing their rigs and we can have a plethora of stuff for folks to try out.

I, for one, want to try a Sadowsky (sp?) to see what all the hype is about, and I want to try a TD-1 and some Accugrooves.... anyone in the Bay area got any of this stuff?? (Did I mention Phil Jones... wanna try that stuff too.) In turn, folks are welcome to try out my gear and bass. I'm sure we can all be responsible adults and not trash each others stuff.... but it's such a great time to be a bass player... there is SOOOO MUCH GEAR out there.... I've become a "No Try-No Buy" kind of guy, so if a GTG can afford me an opportunity to hear and try some stuff.... why not? It'll soon pop up on the FS forum... and I'll confess that the primary reason I don't buy more stuff is I hate buying blind and cold with nothing but goo goo eyes over the top of a bass or the appearance of a piece of gear.... I just made a $4700 mistake with a bass that I never should have bought!!!

For instance... I really want some Epi 112 UL's and an Epi 310 UL to A/B against my NYC's to settle the "UL's have no booty and NYC's got all the bottom end you want" issue. Heck, let's stack em up and see...

I HOPE we can get Juan at Basses-Electric-Acousitic to come... might be a lift for him unless someone can convince him to host it.... OOOOoooo.... I'll bring some Food!!!

But I REALLY hope we could pull something like this off.

7. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I think Accugroove is actually local to the bay area, so you might be able to get those guys to just bring some stuff down. Find "ElWhappo" (or something like that) on here.

I could bring my rig o' love, which consists of a Bergie HT322, powered by my Read Purity and Stewart World 2.1.

Damn you Talk bass!!! You made me a boutique gear whore!!! (though I must say, I haven't wanted anything new in quite a while).

8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    We've got 4 interested parties, but no venue.

I live in the East bay and I have like NO SOCIAL LIFE, so does anyone know of a place that we might consider patronizing? I'll volunteer to do the legwork and actually go there to ask.... East Bay or central San Fran.... just let me know....

And what about a date? Would October 8th be too soon? It's the Saturday of a long weekend.....

Another date that looks like it might be interesting is Saturday the 29th of Oct.... the last Sat. before Halloween.... we can make it a theme party! Bring your Franken-Basses and Franken Rigs!!!! Glow in the dark paint jobs win a used B string.....

No fro's...... I have pet allergies. :p

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    If you really want to organize a get together, I'd rather push the date out at least a month so we can get as many interested parties as possible. Definitely a saturday or sunday. It probably shouldn't be night time to avoid gig conflicts.

I'll have to think about a place. I hardly go out anymore except to gig or rehearse, so potential venues aren't instantly obvious to me. If it's only 5 or 10 people, it could be as simple as just going to Soundwave Studios in Oakland and just getting a room for a few hours. I get the feeling though that in the bay area, we should be able to get lots of people.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    But don't have any other great ideas of a venue at the moment. The Oct 8 weekend might be bad for me, and if it's not in October, I'm probably out for a while. My wife and I are expecting and the baby's due early November.

If I can make it, I'm happy to bring everything but the upright - my Ritter, FBB, and Phil Jones Bass rig.

Marshall

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Both prospective dates are bad for me as I have gigs. Let me do some snooping around and see what I can find for a venue.

12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    We're off to a start at least.... we know of at least two dates that won't work.

I really want that Phil Jones stuff there, so let's try to deal with the arrival of the new one....

Somebody let me know what you want me to do.... I'll be waiting.

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Well, if it doesn't work out for me timewise, you and I can meet up sometime, V.

Marshall

14. I can bring a bunch of stuff everyone would've raved about 5 years about but won't care about now, namely my SM-900 and Warwick Thumb :)... unless X-wire systems still turn heads :)

John

15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    You still acknowledege that you have an X Wire.... I'm impressed. I've had two of them in the last 5 years.... always let them go. Just couldn't get with the whole wireless thing...

16. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Count me in, I'd love to jam...

Wondering about Guitarshowcase in Campbell. They have a building that has rooms that they use for lessons... maybe use the group lesson room if it's not being used.

-Growler
    SanJose

17. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
  18. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Good idea.... who gonna call 'em?

19. Really? I love mine. :)

Anyway, i'll try to make it if something gets organized. From the times i've been to guitar showcase i've gotten the impression that the area you're talking about is quite crowded with gear, etc. May be worth a shot anyway.

John

20. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004

I dropped Guitarshowcase a number and spoke to the woman that organizes the school. She said she'll check on it, but isn't sure they will be available as they do alot of workshops in those facilities, even on the weekends. She's going to get back in touch with me either way.

-Growler