Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEAD Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Razor, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Any ideas/opinions on which bridges to use when using four strings with bigger strings?? I am setting up a few of my basses to use the heavier/thicker strings commonly used for a 5 string (BEAD) but using them on my 4 string. Problem is I am having difficulty in feeding the "B" string through the bridge. I have used a dremel attatchment to enlarge the hole but I really would like to find a bridge that is more "designed" for my purpose. And I bought a Quann BaddAss II and looking at the holes I feel quite sure theres no way I can enlarge it enough to accomodate a larger string without digging into the intonation screw hole...
    Confused you yet?:meh:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    No, actually I mean the "loading hole" at the very rear of the bridge. The hole you first feed the string into before it rests on the saddle. I've never been one accused of being able to explain myself so I do appologize.

3. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hi Razor, You might look at the Wilkinson Bridges. I have one on my four string jazz converted to BEAD and one on my 5 string jazz. They show up on ebay all the time. Both bridges lined up perfectly with the Fender screw holes(no drilling required). They are top loading and adjustable side to side. I prefer the ones with the little nipples that you slip the string eye over when you install strings.
    Did you ever get your truss rod nut loose? BTW, I'm a displaced Cajun living in S. Texas. Maybe one day we can just take over Texas (Ha). Geaux Tigers.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey buddy. I have the same problem with the Harris (which has a BAII). I tried using a .126 B and there was no way it would fit. On my MIM with the stock bridge, I run a .130 tuned BEAD and it fits perfectly. Maybe you need a cheap-o MIM bridge.

I'll trade ya for your Quan ;)

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I think I am gonna have to drop the money on a top loader and I think I am gonna try a Style A Hipshot...pricey but if it doesn't work then I know I can throw it on one of my 4's. Thanks for the tip though on the Wilkinson...I willtry one of those also. Truss rod head is semi-stripped and I have to be very careful turning it to not strip it any more...thanks goddness it's a cheapy neck because a Warmoth will be in the works shortly. Wherebouts in cajun-ville you from? I ask all these barbeque lovers around here to go see a game in death valley....they just give me this dumbfounded look. Go figure.:meh: :D

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I bet you would............I bet you would.:smug:

7. My apologies!

I would also suggest trying the Wilkinson Bridges.Try HERE

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    My sincere thanks to everyone for the assistance! I am definately going to look into the Wilkinson bridge. Anyone have any good pictures of the Wilkinson bridge in question? Also...any reason to think a Wilkinson bridge with a set of Schaller tuners wouldn't be adequate in for keeping a BEAD strung 4 string in good tune and intonation? Thanks again everyone!:D

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Stu...to elaborate on the MIM bridge aspect. I first tried this BEAD thing with an Essex bass I had laying around just to see how it would do. This particular bass has a typical Fender style bridge and I had to dremel out the loading hole behind the saddle to facilitate the larger string. I know I am probably concerned about nothing and that a decent top loader will work I just don't think dremeling on a bridge is good for me to be doing.:D
    (Wait until I post the before/after pics of the Spector that had two soapbars until I routed a P in the neck soapbar position..:rolleyes: Thank God for blank pickguard material)

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Treena you'll always be the Queen of Smilies!
    Thanks very much for the link.

Stu... your box is full with PM's...I tried to send you a reply but no dice. Empty your mailbox you hoser!

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    :p .

When I first tried to string the Harris BEAD, and noticed the B didn't fit, my wife's suggestion of "drill it out" just didn't seem right. The MIM bridge, however, fit without a hitch. :meh: I guess I'm just luckier than you ;) .

Sorry, I can't comment on the Wilkinson or the Hipshot (although I did just open the store up to Hipshot products, now I just need to order stuff :bassist: )

12. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Here's a pic of the Wilkinson bridge I put on my MIJ Jazz Special. I know it's missing two screws. Lived around Lake Charles for most of my life.

13. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have been using a .130 Rotosound B string on a BAII equipped 4 string bass for awhile. Im not gonna tell you its an easy fit but it is possible.