BEAD Ibanez GSR200 Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stoom, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Stoom

Stoom

Sep 1, 2012
    I'm considering setting up my ibanez gsr200 to bead tuning.
    I want to use the heaviest 4-strings from the exl165-5 set 65,85,105,135 as theyre the same overall tension as my current exl170 set so it won't affect the neck.
    I'll have to file the nut slots which I haven't done before but if I take my time with the right tools I should be OK right?
    I'm wondering whether the .135 b string will sit in the b10 bridge saddle groove OK, if not then I guess I'll have to get the 5-string b15 bridge saddles.
    Is there anything else I'm overlooking?
    Thanks

2. Mordamir

Mordamir

Oct 19, 2018
    Funeralopolis
    The .135 should sit in the saddle just fine. I had a .140 on my Dean when I was playing in A standard and I have a .130 on my Ibanez ATK 300 with no problems. You might have to make the hole in the bridge for the string wider though.

Just take it slow when you file the nut slot so you don't take off too much at a time and keep rechecking it and you'll be fine.

3. Stoom

Stoom

Sep 1, 2012
    That's what I wanted to hear, thanks.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Take a pencil or marker and color in the bottom of the nut slots. That will give you a reference so that you're only making them wider, not lower. Assuming they're the correct height to begin with.

RSBBass likes this.
  5. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Make sure the bridge saddles will move about 3/16" (4.75mm) toward the butt of the bass for the new intonation setting.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    bigtone23 and RSBBass like this.