1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beatles Fuzz...Mean Mr Mustard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soma89, May 30, 2009.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi,
    Does anyone know what The Beatles used for their fuzzy bassline on Mean Mr Mustard?

Also, how can I get a tone like that?
    (I'm using an old harmony h22 with flats)

2. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
  3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I've never heard that in any of the Beatles recording books I've read. If Paul did play bass on that track (by this time, they switched around, especially if there was a piano part), it would be I believe the Hofner. Near the end of the Beatles, he began to use the Hofner again.

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Vox Tonebender

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    ive always wondered this too actually..

i never expected a fuzz pedal from that time period to have any bass-friendly qualities.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They didn't. When Paul played with a Tonebender, it was more of a second bass part meant to sound more like a guitar part. There's always a clean bass part going on in addition to the fuzz bass tone.

7. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I actually came to the conclusion that the bass was played through George's silicon Fuzz Face that he was using at the time. When I plug my bass (with flats) into my Fuzz Face I get VERY close to that sound. It's a great bass fuzz tone.

The Vox Tonebender was used on bass in the earlier days when they recorded "Think For Yourself". I doubt they used it on this track because Mean Mr Mustards fuzz bass sounds wayy different than the bass fuzz on Think For Yourself.

8. I'm using the Sabine FuzzStortion pedal and I've very close to the sound of Mean Mr. Mustard.

This is was song that got me saying "I need a fuzz pedal!"

9. haha wow I always thought that part was a tuba. I'm listening to it now and its definitely NOT a tuba :)

10. I've heard a similar bass fuzz tone on some early Bee Gees tunes. For "Mean Mr. Mustard" it sounds like the treble is turned up on whatever is causing the sawtooth wave when compared to the very similar sound of the Bee Gees "Every Second, Every Minute" for example. There's also a similar sound in the short blues shuffle part toward the end of the Bee Gee's "Somebody Stop the Music." It almost sounds like some kind of natural amplifier overdrive combined with the unique sound of a Rickenbacker with flats.