Beatles "Rain" isolated bass and drums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by viribus, Mar 9, 2020.

1. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I don't recall this ever being shared here before so here it is. Feels legit to me.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    That sounds like ONLY the drums. With a little bit of everything else leaking in.

3. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    On my phone that’s kind of how it sounds. On a desktop the bass is pretty clear.

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Unfortunately...you may be right. His bass was kind of weak in the mix sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It’s legit; I’ve been studying it for over 50 years, played it in a number of bands. The bass sounded upfront on my Iphone, in fact it actually overpowered Ringo a bit. That song was the turning point for McCartney’s sound; the early use of the Rickenbacker bass, and the unique for the time employment of a speaker as a microphone diaphragm/transducer to capture the biggest low frequency sound possible. Paul had complained about how the bass on Motown records had been the centerpiece, and he wanted some of that. One thing he might not have known is that Motown had 8 track, where they were still recording on 4, and bouncing down on occasion. But the end result total mix, whenever I heard it on a jukebox, always sounded great; it was bass in your face, riding on top of the droning guitars.

6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I can understand the recording limitations in the 60's. But sometimes his bass sound even had problems during the Wings era.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022