1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beautiful Rigs Of Doom thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 7, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Rat fur and chrome rigs need not apply ;)

Just kidding, rat fur fans. But I must say that I set the bar incredibly high with my beautiful rig of doom:

[​IMG] Free file hosting from File Den!

A 1964 Ampeg B-15N on top of a www.fliptops.net B-15 extension cab, the double baffle variety. The real B-15N was a complete and utter wreck when I bought it, but I had it completely restored by Jess Oliver, inventor of the Portaflex amps and a whole lot of other Ampeg amps. Unfortunately it was such a mess that it couldn't be restored perfectly, but it looks a million times better than the crappy black tolex and bashed in power transformer it came with. The 64 cab is loaded with a 1966 CTS Ampeg Custom, and the Fliptops cab sports an Eminence Delta 15A, which sound identical to my ears. The B-15N head only puts out 25w, and the CTS only handles about 100w, so it's limited in its doomage at the moment. But I'm also getting another extension cab made by www.vintage-blue.us loaded with a Delta, and together they'lll be able to take 600w easily, so if I need the power I can use another head, truly making this a beautiful rig of doom. But don't underestimate its doom-causing capabilities as is. On its first gigs this weekend, I handled a 600-seat club with a balcony level with stage volume and still had headroom.

The rest of the signal chain goes from a P-Lyte with QP/Ultrajazz pickups, and Li'l Elvis, my Upton Hawkes upright, with Clef Revolution Solo II pickup going into each channel of an EBS Microbass II, under which sits an FMR RNC 1773 compressor, and into the amp. Wirelesses are X2 portables, and a cheapo Korg tuner comes out of the FX return of the EBS. The mic is a Heil PR 40. A Sansamp VT pedal sits in the rack unused, but I'll be using that for fly gigs when the SVT on my rider turns into an Eden/Hartke rig, and for when I get lazy and bring the Markbass combo, which I inevitably will.

So let's have fun and forget about trying to outclass each other with power and speakers and efficiency. Nobody cares about that. This thread is about what's truly important on a gig...looking good!!

2. Thats some mighty fine equipment you've got there :p

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I'd use that for a blues gig anytime....old motown R&B gig too.

I hate to point this out Jimmy.....none of your basses have enough strings. :eyebrow:

4. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    wow

I have nothing left to say. I want an extension cab!! What mike are you using on that rig?

John

5. Awesome, two 15s are considered doomy enough for this thread;

[​IMG]

unfortunately it's mic'd up with an Audix D6,
    not quite the PR40 you have Jimmy, which I reeeeeeeeeally want... well your amps quite nice too :p (wooo, prog formatting!)

My new Laney head has rat fur on though, and I haven't got any pictures of it either, but I'm getting a new case for it at some point cos the one I have is awful, plus it has blue LEDs all over the place which need getting rid of and some really flimsy controls. Far too nicer amp do deserve all that, and definitely not anywhere near modern sounding enough to warrant the ugly as sin blue LEDs :scowl:

"300W" Solid State wasn't cutting it at all, and my limiter kept complaining at me, so I'm now running "1500W" with the new one. Either I use alot of power or someone is lying.

6. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    ooops I was so excited about the amp that I didnt see that you mentioned what the mic was!:D

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    *&^% Jimmy! Can you say Tone Quest!!!

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've got one for you Jimmy,

My 67 B-15 on top of my 70's B-40 4x10. This was my substitute rig while the V4 was in the shop.

[​IMG]

9. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Nice rigs boys - I've posted mine before - but I think it fits here too....:)

aaa1079.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Looks like that would wake the entire town up.

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    correction, entire STATE

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Although, I'm just not into carrying those SVT heads at all, that rig does make me tingle in all the right area's.

13. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    102-0267_IMG.

That's an xlt 4x10/Mesa 2x15 (both 8 ohms) - The rig is bridged at 1100 watts

14. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Why are all the mics in the center of the dust cover guys?
    Have you tired off axis micing? Do you get better results with it at 90 degrees centered?

Sorry to derail,

15. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I bet this thing KILLS!

16. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Correction, Entire PROVINCE.... :p

I always thought my Eden Metro+210xlt extension cab looked [and sounded] mighty nice. It just didn't travel so good.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why you...!!! ;)

Jonathan, I like to mic off axis when I use a really bright cab, but you get more full range on axis.

Beauty rigs! Keep 'em coming!

18. How big is that head?! :eek:

19. [​IMG]

20. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    HAHAHAHAHAHA