Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jefft54, May 24, 2005.

1. I'm looking at getting a new, small practice/gig amp. Is the Behringer BX1200 really that bad, because the price is really good.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How much are the Workingman (pro?) combos? Those would be a much better choice.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Whenever you are tempted to buy Behringer, just think about holding your wallet over the garbage can, shaking 'til it's empty, and then stubbing your toe on the way out of the kitchen, because that's basically what you'd be doing. This image works for me when I'm tempted by prices that low.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Berhinger products aren't inherintly bad... just unreliable. Very high chance of getting a lemon. The sound is ok, but nothing special. This is my experience at least...

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I ALWAYS play better when the word Behringer is not in the room.... I've had a few bits of "B" gear and there seemed to always be something wrong with them.. I'd save up for something better.. or hire for the night..

6. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    HAHAH. That's exactly what I feel about my amp.

7. OK. I was actually more interested in the Ashdown Blue 180-12 or Fender R 100 but they both run an extra 100.00+. I really kinda knew the answer to my question but this DOES put it in perspective!

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I own a Behringer Bass V-amp Pro, Behringer EP1500 poweramp and a Behringer Autocom Compressor which I use for recording. I haven't had problems with any of them.

9. My BX600 held up pretty perfectly for a few years till I got my new rig. The sound is nothing incredible but it's very punchy and quite loud, for a good price. If you get lucky, you will get a decent amp for a good price. However you may get a lemon (not an odd occurance, apparently) and regret it.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's like eating a taco from Jack in the Box. It's not really that bad, as long as you don't think of it as a taco.

11. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    ....so if you imagine you're playing through an amplified taco you won't be dissapointed with the tone that comes out.

12. actually, I believe an amplified taco is more reliable than a Behringer.....

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've used my Behringer BX3000t 300 watt head every day for almost 6 months, including about 4 gigs. I bought one that was sitting in a small music shop for awhile, and I know it was used a bit before I got it. I needed something I could play in a metal band with and it was all I could get with the money I had at the time.

It's a tank, it works really well and you can squeeze a fitting tone out of it.

I'd like to move to a power amp in a rack set up down the road, but this has lasted pretty well so far. I'm happy with it, and with the price I paid for it I'm even more happy.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You get what you pay for in life.

15. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    if you're really on a budget then go for it. i have a bx1200, and though i've recently upgraded to ashdown the bx1200 worked as great as any 120 watt combo going through a 12" would. most people here probably haven't even had an experience with behringer bass amps.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I tried the V-amp once and it was real noisy, but I thought that was because I didnt have enough experience with the unit... As for the amp part, my guitarist had a Berhinger 212 combo which would crap out all the time, be noisy as hell when it didn't crap out, and was just bad sounding to begin with. I can only hope the bass amps are better; I've only played em when comparing basses when it was the only amp nobody was using. It was ok sounding, but it was at low volume.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I had a bx1200. I played it for about a total of 3 hours before it died. It made a loud steady humming sound and nothing else.

Before it died it did sound pretty good though; nice and deep.
    Luckily mine was only two weeks old and the music store gave me a full refund. If you can get one locally in a music store with a good return policy I would give it a shot. But I mean a really good return policy. If it dies you arent out anything except a bit of hassle. Make sure you play the hell out of it for like 29 days straight. Apparently if they dont die fairly quickly they should be ok.

bon chance!

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I bought the 30 watt combo two years ago on the pretense that if it packed it in, I would walk it to the curb. It still works just fine.

It's a cheap amp and sounds like a cheap amp. I used it last night while teaching my daughter. She was plugged into my Markbass/SWR rig. Both were played at quiet volumes and B worked just fine.

You do get what you pay for. My quitarist plays 3-4 nights a week and has been for the past 15 years. He uses a V-amp when he's not interested in hauling his Soldano/Marshall rig around. It's been highly reliable and has never failed him.

I think some of their stuff is bottom end. Some of the stuff is just fine.

Like someone else said earlier, you will read many posts from people that have never tried the stuff, yet feel qualified to comment on it.

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    There's a reason nobody was using it.

20. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've actually come across alot of Behringer BX3000T's (is that right?) at gigs and asking everyone who uses one, i've never heard of anyone with a problem. They sound pretty punchy and warm, and are fairly loud amps.

I'm not saying you'll get great tone, or a perfectly reliable amp, but from what i've seen, they've held up allright.