Planned Being able to search classifieds using geography

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by two fingers, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Yes!

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I only buy carrots locally..... or ......"I don't care either way."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If this feature is already available just teach me how to use it and I'll go away. :cool:

This is nit picking, I know. The forum is laid out very well and navigation is truly easy.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to implement a search in the classifieds using geography. For instance, if one were searching for a rather large bass amp, or a double bass, shipping seems cost prohibitive. It would be great if we could search within a certain radius of where we are.

If members posting ad would rather maintain their privacy, we could make it an option when posting a listing. In other words, when posting an ad, one would have to "turn on" the location option before posting the ad.

And from the buyer's end, we could then use miles/kilometers radius as a parameter for searching.

This would make selling/buying larger items much easier. It would also immediately clear up most questions when the seller includes in his/her ad "willing to meet within 100 miles" or "willing to drive up to an hour to do the deal" or "can meet up to halfway between here and Atlanta".

I realize popularity doesn't always make the decision for admins. But I will include a poll to see if I am the only one interested in such a feature.

BASSKADET and Stumbo like this.
  2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I would LOVE to have this functionality. Integrating to google maps API would let folks search for a distance radius around their home. I'd also love to let folks search by price range. And have a decent image layout. All of these features would require a different software system or a custom plugin - the current forum software framework wouldn't be able to do it. I'm hoping to be able to have this custom developed for us, but cost would be in the thousands for sure. So need to get forum updated to xenforo2 first, so we don't have to do the custom dev work twice :) Whew!

Nephilymbass and two fingers like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for the reply! I actually understood some of it. :roflmao:

(That was a knock on my lack of expertise in IT rather than a knock on your reply itself. ;))

4. I’d love to be able to search the classifieds by price range or by max price. I always have a budget in mind when I’m shopping for another bass. That range can be anywhere from $500-$2,000 depending on what I’m looking for at the moment (main player upgrade, gigging backup, fretless, multi course basses) there’s a lot of expensive basses in the talkbass classifieds and on several occasions I’ve gone several pages deep and then just stopped looking on there.

5. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    I have a Georgia search saved and I'm always so sad when I see something cool and it turns out to be 8 hours away. This would be an awesome feature to have.

6. BASSKADET

BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Good idea.
    I've been thinking about that for a few years. It would be nice to only see what's available with in a set distance. Especially if looking for cabinets.

7. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    This thread looks like the appropriate place to ask this question. With the current system is it possible to implement search by country?
    At the moment if I want to search only items for sale in Canada I have to search province by province, is it possible to also group them all into one search as well.

Jeff Moote likes this.