Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

belly cut preference/help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirkTone, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DirkTone

DirkTone

Jun 20, 2005
    Portland, OR
    First bass (played guitar for 18 years) purchased last year was recent MIA Fender Jazz. 2nd bass, purchased several months later, was Ibanez Roadstar II.

I find right hand stuff significantly easier on the Ibanez bass b/c it doesn't have a belly cut and therefore the angle at which my hand rests for picking is different - i.e, closer to parallel with the body (or, less at an angle). It was the same with guitars - I started out on Les Pauls and Teles and could never pick as fast or as easy on Strats (although the less exaggerated cuts on PRS and a Hamer I owned were less of a problem). But I prefer the tone of the Jazz (Ibanez has split p-style pickup only).

Of course most basses have belly cuts. Does anyone know of any other bass that does not have a belly cut? Warmoth can make me a body without one, but....

Thanks.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Older Precision basses and Tele basses come to mind. Pre EB-Stingrays and Ernie Ball SUB basses don't have them either.

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Maybe a Rickenbacker would interest you....

not mine, can only dream about buying it for $9.95, haha.