Ben Kenney (Incubus, Ben Kenney, The Division Group)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by karrot-x, Aug 28, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Anyone else notice how remarkably talented this guy is? After seeing him in Incubus and then going to his site,, as well as listening to him in The Division Group; I have come to realise the guy is incredible. I love his rig, his tone, his feel, his groove. Hell, I personally think he's amazing, and I'm currently striving to be equally as talented.

After coming from The Roots as guitar and making the switch to bass he's done a wonderful job filling the big shoes of Dirk Lance. Then his solo music is by itself fantastic and has a good groove to it. He brings light and inspiration to my playing at the moment. Anyone else feel this way?

Plus he uses mesa and lakland! :)
  2. Yea, he is quite amazing. On the Alive at Red Rocks DVD, Drive sounded different and kicked quite a bit of ass. I totally dig the way he sounds with Incubus. And the threeway drum jam was quite neat as well.
  3. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    It's good to see someone who loves Ben's work as much as I.I think his solo stuff and division group stuff is amazing.Aswell as the mighty Incubus.What a voice.What a Bassist.What a Guitarist.
  4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    does he use roundwounds his tone on alive at red rocks is stunning!! and the stellar solo!!!!!!
  5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    He uses flats. Try to find the Bass Player article about him, it talks about his rig. I remember Lakland US Osborn, Hollowbody, and Scheff for basses. Mesa for amps (but recorded with bass POD), and flats. I do not recall the brand.

He actually played bass for the Roots as a fill-in for Hub on one of their tours. They asked him to stay and play guitar.

Yes, he is awesome. He admits to overplaying live, but he sounded great on what I've seen of the DVD.
  6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Hey just thought I'd throw it out there that Ben Kenney released a new song on his site. Despite the fact that it's not his best bass work, it's still an incredible song that you can understand all of the aspects of music he's involved in. Great stuff :). -- site -- song
  7. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ya the new song is awesome.
  8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I've noticed really good punchy sparse bass lines from Incubus. They're impossible to figure out!!! I can get some of them, but I just know I'm missing a couple pick up notes here and there.
  9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    On second thought, the bass lines he plays in Wrong are extremely good. I didn't realise it at first, but they are very interesting and fit the song perfectly.
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You forgot the Roots :p Though it wasn't so much bass then..

I enjoy his stuff. Some of the newer Incubus stuff is ok, some is crap IMO and I don't like what he does with the older songs (like ACSOG at red rocks etc) but I still respect him.

I enjoy his solo stuff too.
  11. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I don't seem to have a good photo of Ben Kenney playing one of his Laklands. If someone has a good one, I'd be glad to include it on the Lakland site when I revamp the Artists section in the near future.
  12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I really liked what he did on the live incubus dvd! Very cool!