Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berg 112HT for upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by B String, Jun 15, 2005.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How does the berg 112HT work for upright? I just tried a
    wizzy. Maybe it was a wierd box, but none of us hearing it
    liked it much. The epi 112UL has a lot of scoop and lows,
    so its a bit boomy. Years ago, I used a box with 9, 4.5in
    speakers. It was great but was VERY heavy and only usable
    for upright not electric. I'm looking for punch, presence, and
    the ability to use it on small electric gigs too. So.....
    OPINIONS PLEASE!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Bergantino is colored in the low mids. It sounds great with upright until you compare it to a more flat sounding cabinet like an EA. The CXL112L might be a better choise. I had one for a while and it was a great cab for doubling. A lot more efficient than the Bergantino as well.

3. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I use the EX112 (no tweeter) for DB (I also own the HT210). When I bought the 112, I A/B'd it with other cabs including the Wizzy. At the time I thought the wizzy had more harsh high-end and was slightly boomy in comparison. The HT112 with a tweeter was great, but I found I liked the tweeter dialed out for DB, so I just bought the EX instead of the HT.
    For slab you will want the tweeter.

The thing about Bergantino is the really tight, clean low end. Not boomy at all in my opinion. They also have a lot of headroom.

Bottom line, Bergantino & EA make great cabs. To say one is better is so subjective. You're looking at the top end of the pile. You're not going to go wrong with either.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a Wizzy and two HT-112s that I use for both DB and BG. The Wizzy may sound a little peaky on its own, but its midrange really cuts through other instruments and helps me hear my intonation. The whizzer cone projects mids and highs well, even off-axis, unlike many cabs with tweeters.

Adrian Juras says he thinks the Berg is colored in the low mids. I disagree--I find the lows and mids to be quite balanced, but I think it's short in upper mids (especially compared to the Wizzy). At least for DB, I turn up the tweeter and boost a bit around 1.2khz to bring out note definition. I've found that the HT-112s really like to be pushed, while the Wizzy begins to crap out on the low end at high volumes.

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Um, huh? Just to voice another opinion, I gotta respectfully disagree and say that the Bergs have alot happening in the upper mids. I can't say I've ever had to tweak to get definition and note clarity out of the Bergs. What amp are you using?

6. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I know plenty of people love them for DB, including Ed Friedland who has posted on the other side raving about them when paired with an AI Focus. I owned an HT112 for a couple of years, drove it with a WW Ultra and could never get myself to like it. It just seemed to be a bit too cool and sterile without enough low end. I had hoped it would be the perfect single cabinet for use with EBG on lower volume gigs and DB on all gigs but it didn't work out that way for me. Maybe I would feel differently if I had purchased the tweeterless twin and used both cabinets. When I'm not using an AI New Yorker alone or with an Acme B1, and these two choices work for 99 percent of my DB gigs, I pair up a Schroeder 1212 with either a Focus or the WW Ultra. The Schroeder with either of the amps is the perfect doubling rig for me and also sounds fine with DB alone. The Schroeder is also a lot cheaper. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

7. winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    EA iAmp800 and GK 400RB. When using 'em with the Wizzy I end up cutting upper mids and highs a touch. Just proves everybody's ears are a 'lil bit different.

8. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm very lucky that one of my friends and teachers happens to be one of my most favorite bass players. He uses a Bergantino 112 cabinet with either an AI Clarus or a WW and gets a great sound. But then again, I know he would sound great through just about anything.

-bob

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well there you have it! My problem isn't my gear. My problem
    is.... I SUCK!! So, more time in the music studio, less time
    in the music store would seem to be in order. but... naah
    I'll continue to blame the gear. Its more fun.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an HT112 with an Eden WT-550 for all my gigs - upright, fretted, fretless, 4,5,6 strings - and it works great.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I used to own an HT112, and liked it for doubling. It sounded good for DB, but never quite as good as the EA cabs to my ears - Here's a review I did a few years back about the EA CXL and Berg HT112 cabs. However, if you double, it's a no-brainer win-win cab, and won't kill your back, either.

12. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks so much for your educated opinion. Are you saying the
    Berg is a no brainer, or the EA is? In your review you seem
    MUCH happier with the EA than the Berg. Again, I'm looking at
    it being my main upright box, and my main small electric gig
    box. As much as I love my epi's, they don't seem as suited to
    an aggresive modern upright sound.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    True - once I got past the initial "I don't have to play through a Polytone any more" euphoria, I started to hear more and more subtle nuances. The Berg was definitely more colored in the low mids, and CXL more aggressive in the mids, but both are excellent cabs. For DB only, I liked the EA better, and for Slab only, I liked the Berg a little better. If I were doubling, I'd give a slight edge to the Berg if I could deal with the DB sound, and it's the one I meant when I said "no brainer".

The CXL112 is without a doubt more "aggressive" and modern sounding, and can handle more juice if you use it as an "only" cab. The Berg is lighter, more portable, and darker in the mids. If I hadn't discovered the VL208's - which add little or nothing to the sound - I probably would never have sold either. It really all comes down to taste in the end - it's like asking, "which car is better...a Saab, or a Volvo?". You're in the high end of the market here, and either would serve you well.

14. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Since I've owned all of these cabs mentioned I'll throw my .02 in. I can mention good and bad things about all of these cabs, but my goal was to get the cab that:

1) had good tone
    2) could handle loud volumes
    3) was light weight and easy to handle.

After the Aguilars, the Epis, all the EA's(even the 2x8's) and whatever else I tried were gone, the Bergs HT112's are still around. When the scoring was done on the items listed above the Berg was the clear winner in my opinion. Great tone, handles power very well(best of all of them IMO) and easy to handle in a 39lb package.

I always used a WW Ultra with J basses and upright. In regards to LowNote's problem with getting a good sound, I'll have to admit it took me a while to find the sweet spot on my amp, but man do they sing!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is pretty much my take, too. The Berg HT112 is just a great little box, and adding an EX112 or another HT112, and powering them with a WWU equates to a giant-killer rig, with great tone, punch and vibe, IMHO. The Bergantino cabs tend to always soud full, yet tight, and clean, yet rich at the same time.

With EA cabs, though, you get clarity like with no other brand (again, IMHO), and the transmission line design really does equate to deep lows. The VL-208, especially, is an all-time classic, in my book. As for the Wizzy versus the HT112, I also hear more upper mids in the Wizzy, but more low to middle mids in the HT112. Variations on a theme, though, really.

I know that I did this test with an electric bass, but if you check out my blog (below) I have an article called "Mini Cab Combo Shootout" wherein I compared some combinations of smaller cabs (Berg HT112/EX112, two Wizzy's, Epifani T-110UL/T-112, EA CxL-112/CxL-210, EA VL-110/VL-208).

Later, Tom.

16. winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I haven't heard DB through the AccuGroove Tri 110 or Tri 112, but I have heard Steve Lawson play BG thru the 110 and Chapman Stick player Bob Culbertson through the 112. Both sounded phenomenal, with lots of detail and clarity. Pretty expensive but also worthy of consideration.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have the Tri 110, which is indeed very clear, detailed and punchy. It is a very nice electric cab, with a good amount of "bite." In addition, I own a Tri 208, which is more laid back, and probably more accurate. It sounds great on upright. Full, and with lots of clarity.

Tom.

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, is it just me, or are you guys into major overkill? If I
    walked into a little trio or quartet jazz gig with a big stack
    of speakers, I'd frighten the band, customers, and whoever
    booked us in the first place. lol
    My idea here is to get the best sound out of the smallest,
    lightest, and least amount of gear I can bring to the gig.
    I think for my next flute, harp, upright gig, I'm gonna bring
    a 410 box with an SVT head. It may give the flute player a
    heart attack, but I'll have killer tone. naa....just kiddin

19. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Is this a bad thing?

Seriously though, I'm sure we all want the smallest rig that will cut the gig. (Hey that rhymes!). Especially those folks in the urban areas. For bass, though, I think you have to have some headroom. No rig sounds good when it's pushed to its limits. My Berg 112 handles 90% of my gigs, but I still own a HT210 for the large venue gigs or outdoor stuff. I'm planning on trading the HT210 on another 112 though, two 112's should be plenty.

20. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Larry
    I agree. I still have a 310, 210, 112, 110, as well as mixing
    these for bigger gigs. Unfortunately, none of them sound
    great for upright. and..... As god is my witness, I will find
    the box that makes my bass and I HAPPY!!! DANM IT!!!!