Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergantino and Thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 64jazzbass, Mar 26, 2004.

1. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I recently purchased 2 Bergantino 12" cabs (HT112 and EX)
    and coupled them with a brand new Thunderfunk head and played 3 consecutive gigs with this rig using a 64' jazz, a 73' jazz and a Lakland 55-94. I've never gotten so many compliments on my bass tone before. "Punchy", "kickass", "ballsy" were just a few of the adjectives. This portable rig is loud, articulate, with just a bit of grind to the tone. The 12" bergs handled the low "B" of the Lakland with no effort. Has anybody else tried this combination yet? Comments? I also tried the Bergs with an EBS HD350 and it sounded a bit more hi-fi but also impressive.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use a Berg 210/115 setup but Im interested in the 112s. How do you like the Thunderfunk amp with the Bergs? It looks liks a cool amp. Does it have a lot of headroom?

3. 64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    There is plenty of headroom for my needs but I heard from Dave that he may be coming out with an 800 watt version!
    The Funk with the Bergs sounds awesome!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, few heads like EA heads sound as good as they do thru Berg cabs, but i've been really wanting to try one of those fancy schmancy thunderfunk heads.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If the Thunderfunk amps do justice to the AMP amps they're based on, then yes, they *will* kick butt! I might even have to go for the Thunderfunk 800 watter if it comes out!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    same here! my AMP BH260 killed thru a couple Bag Ends..

*IF* the Thunderfunk keeps up with the AMP tone wise, I'd love to try out an 800watter sitting on an NV215!

7. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I use the identical set up and couldn't be happier. I believe they have made a couple of changes to the Thunderfunk...does yours have speakon connecters and an internal fan?

Besides the great overall sound, I find that this rig lets the character of each of my basses come through (turner ren, alembic series I, Roscoe Beck 5, frankenfender fretless). All sound great through this rig.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an opportunity to audition a ThunderFunk head, and directly compare it to my iAMP 800. In truth, it would have been a closer comparison to A/B it with my Walkabout, but alas, the Walkabout was in getting some mods (speakon output, and unbalanced line out). The ThunderFunk is a very, very good head. I have posted my results in a couple of older threads which you may find in the archives.

As much as I love my iAMP 800, if I were in the market for a head, and an 800 watt ThunderFunk was available, it would be a tough call between it and the EA.

Sounds like a great rig, shbeals. Enjoy!

Tom.

9. 64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Yes, I got the newer version with the fan and Speakon. I play a regular Wednesday night gig and the band that plays after mine has a bass player that uses the old AMP version. That one sounds great also, but he's blown away by the Bergantino's with this new version. I also got from Dave Funk a "soft" anvil case that the Thunderfunk slips right into with foam padding inside. The whole thing weighs about 20 lbs. He is coming out with a soft, padded bag as well. Both have the Thunderfunk logo. It's very cool. If I remember correctly from my conversation with him, the 800 watt version will still be 2 rack spaces high, but a little deeper than the 400 watt model.

10. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Just got a email from Dave. It'll be a while before the 800 watt model comes out. He ran into a few snags.

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am currently playing through a Thunderfunk and a Berg NV610. (Using a DBX 160A too.) This is the most amazing sound I have ever heard.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    and the thunderfunk is enough for the cab? My BH260 was more then plenty for a pair of Bag Ends... but the "you need a gigawatt to open up boutique cabinets" has got me second guessing what I know from personal experience.

How many watts does it push to the cabinet and what kind of Bass & style of music doyou do?

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

400 watts, which is plenty of power. I play in an alt rock band with drums, guitar, and vocals. I typically have the gain around 6, use mild eq, cut the 80 a little and bump up the 250 a little, then add some 2.5k, and the master volumen is typically below 5. I mostly play finger style. My basses are a 74 Fender Precision, a Rickenbacker 4003, and a Musicman Stingray fretless. I also have a DBX 160A in the effects loop. I have a pretty goog pedal board, but I've been enjoying the clean sound so much that I haven't been using them much.

14. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    OK. Since there's so many wandering minds out there, I thought I'd take some questions. What is it that you really want to know about the Thunderfunk TFB420?

Dave Funk

15. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Welcome Dave,
    Great to see you here.

Do you have a guess as to when an 800 watt model would be available?

Thanks.

16. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

First, let me say that Dave Funk is a great guy to do business with. I have asked him several questions by email. He has always returned long, thougthful responses in short order. This guy puts considerable effort into customer service.

Dave -

Will there be an opportunity to upgrade my TFB420 to the 800 watt version?

17. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    Is 800-watts twice as loud as 400-watts? No, 4,000 watts is. What you really get with 800-watts is more dynamics.

All my amps have a cohesive tone to them that throws "paintballs" of tone that splatter on the back wall. Being able to throw a cohesive tone into the room is the goal. This has little to due with power. Would you rather have 800-watts of mushy tone?

Things guys like about my amp are it's light weight and being able to turn off the fan. An 800-watt amp will have neither of that. If you want light and loud buy a digital. I love the guy who posted that the Walter Woods is better than my amp. I agree, at $2000. Why wouldn't it be?

The goal with my 800-watt design is to keep it in 2-rack spaces. This has become a problem because I thought I could reduce the size of the heatsink mounting plate and make up for it with other heatsinking. It didn't work. If I go to a 3-space I can go to a larger transformer. To explain that, a transformer can only have a certain ratio to it's form. Otherwise the coil doesn't stay close enough to the laminates. The transformer I use is as large as you can fit in two-rack spaces. A 600VA. I found a 1,000VA toroid (I've used toroids for over 12 years) but it weighs twice as much (shouldn't) and costs twice as much. Where's the gain?

If I increase the voltage of the transformer, the transistors will put out more, but then the transformer won't deliver the current. So let's talk about a 2-ohm load. Yes, the amp will put out more power into 2-ohms, but will the transformer deliver more power? No. And a 2-ohm load is NEVER a good idea with transistors. It can lead to instability and failure. Other manufacturers won't tell you this. I don't understand why guys think you can just plug in 2-ohms and get a bigger sound.

Peavey makes a 4x10 speaker box at 4-ohms. Why? So they can get more power out of their amp at 4-ohms. But then you can't hook up two boxes (2-ohms). This is chasing specs. Or it's getting the best efficiency out of your rig? Getting the most power out of a small rig. You really have to plan on what you're doing to get the most flexibility out of your equipment. If I make an 800-watt amp, it's going to weigh almost twice as much, cost almost twice as much, and with one 8-ohm 4x10, it'll put out around 520 watts. Why not use a 4-ohm 4x10 with a 400-watt amp and get the same volume out of a smaller, lighter, cheaper rig? AccuGroove has a switch on their speakers to change the impedance of the box. This is perfect. Get the most power out of one box, or two boxes as needed.

I'm working on an 800--watt amp, but I think two 400-watt amps are more reliable, more flexible, and only slightly more expensive. When will I have an 800-watt amp? That depends on how reliable you want it to be. It takes time to prove a design.

As to tone: I get emails from customers who say they've spent thousands of dollars buying and selling bass guitars looking for tone, and it was the amp all along. Who knew? Why do I have better tone? More expensive parts. Not designed by bean counters.

If I offer an upgrade that would mean that there will be an 800-watt version. I'll have to wait on that one. I'm also working on a new tube guitar amp, and a tube mic pre. I have to see where the most benefit is going to be. I will say that when I get asked, "How does my amp compare?" I say that I don't compare my amp to anything else. If you find something else better, buy it. I'm making the best amp I can. The rest is up to you.

Thanks,
    Dave Funk

18. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Hi dave. I bought my TBF420 from you last year (shipped 10/28/03). Loved it when I received, if anything like it more now. A couple of questions:

1. I was concerned about the unit not having a fan but after reading up on Thunderfunk, Gibson, and AMP reviews it didnt seem to be a problem. I see that you are now including a switchable fan. Was there a design change, a heat problem, or is it just a marketplace demand?

2. Since I am using the Bergantino cabinets I would like a speakon connector. Also, depending on your answer to #1 I may want a fan. Will you do the retrofit work? I don't want to screw up the 2 year warranty by having someone else do it.

Thanks,

Bob

19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I've been using Dave's Thunderfunk amp for about a half a year now with excellent results. From our Tri 110L to our El Whappo, it has what it takes to deliver the goods.

I have never heard it through another company's cabs, so you mileage may very. It’s run mostly with everything straight up, although sometimes I might tweak the bass & treble.

Great job Dave!

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

20. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    The fan was added as some guys were running the amp hard in racks. The amp can take the heat, but the digital equipment next to it might not. The amp is aluminum so the entire chassis is a heatsink, and can get pretty hot. The fan is sweet though. If you don't over temp or over volt transistors, the failure mode is thermal stress. Bring an amp in from a cold trunk and turning it on right away can cause stress cracks in the transistors. A fan not only keeps the amp cooler, but it helps stabilize the amp's temperature, and can also help warm up a cold amp. All in all using a fan is better. If you're using the amp in the studio, turn the fan off. It's your choice.

I do retrofit the amps with all the updates. You should write me directly for info.

Thanks,
    Dave Funk