1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergantino NV215 vs. Mesa Diesel 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Feb 27, 2008.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Has anyone had the chance to compare a Bergantino NV215 cab to an older Mesa Diesel 2x15 with EV speakers in it? I'm curious to know if the two sound similar and also how their tones differ.

Tom Bowlus, you out there?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    They are nothing alike excepth they both use 15's. The Mesa to my ear was flabby in the lows and way too bright the rest of the way. It would get loud but not have that nice tight sound you get from the bergantino.
    The Berg on the other hand is nice and tight in the lows and smooth everywhere else that nice warm vintage sound with out the Muffled sound from most ported 215's I have heard.

IMHO YMMV.

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    haven't heard the berg but the mesa is a BEAST that is awesome live. i tried to look and couldn't find it, but recently someone did comparison of the mesa and a modern cab (i think it was the berg) and the mesa more than held it own.

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, it's been years since I heard a Diesel 2x15, but it still stands out as an awe-inspiring experience. That said, the Berg NV215 is one of my absolute favorite cabs. Truth be told, I'd love to get my hands on an old Diesel or RR 2x15 and give this a proper A/B, but going by recollection alone, I'd say that the Boogie is a bit more 'wide open' sounding, with a tad more bloom in the lows, and more snap up top (the model with the tweeter, at least), and the NV215 is a tad more balanced through the mids, tight in the lows, and smoother up top.

But please take that with a handful or two of salt, as it's been a while, and again, I have not done a direct A/B comparison.

Tom.

6. wakethetown

wakethetown

Dec 11, 2007
    have any of you compared the Berg NV215 to the Aguilar GS412? Wondering what your thoughts are on this A/B.