1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 12 for DB?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    OK...

I've been actively following many of the posts regarding amps and rigs for DB for quite some time. I'm looking to scale down my current rig to something a bit lighter and more portable for quieter jazz gigs.

I currently use an SWR Bass 350 head (approx 200 watts at 8 Ohms). I have this in a 3 space rag bag which is not too bad to tote around. I also have an SWR Goliath III 2x10 (350 watts at 8 Ohms) which weighs in just under 60 lbs.

I'm thinking to save some money (rather than buying a whole new amp combo) that maybe I just need a lighter speaker cabinet. The only 12 I've tried was an Aguilar. It was OK.

I'd like a light cab that matches well with my SWR head -- since I already get a great sound from it -- it's wonderfully reliable -- and it's more than paid for itself over years of steady work.

I'm seriously thinking Euphonic because of their hip transmission cabinet design -- and wondered if anyone could help me with suggestions.

The Wizzy 112 seems like an excellent choice...it's 4 Ohms (making my SWR put out mo' juice) handles 250 watts, and claims 126 dB sens weighing in at 29 lbs...all under $500. Sounds like the best bang for the buck, no?

Another choice would be the CXL 112L...8 Ohms, 128 dB sens, 350 watts, 44 lbs...under $700.

Can you hardcore EA users offer me a compare/contrast on these two cabs???

Many of you seem to use the Berg HT 112...8 Ohms, 97 dB sens, 300 watts, 39 lbs...also around $500.

I realize there are many other fine choices...can anyone offer practical ideas? I guess budget isn't a big issue since I was originally planning on spending serious bucks (over $1000) on a new combo...but with REALITY as a nagging factor...keeping things around $500 would be best! Cheers!

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Jason,

I would take a serious look at a new cabinet which I don't think has been discussed yet on Talkbass. Jorg Schroeder has added another small box to his new Light series of cabinets. I'm not sure exactly what he is calling it, and his website doesn't yet describe it, but it is a front firing (as opposed to angled) 1-12" plus tweeter, sealed (non-ported) cabinet that sounds absolutely fantastic with double bass. I just picked mine up from Jorg a couple of weeks ago. I'm driving it with a Walter Woods Ultra--but not for long since I have this for sale on eBay at the moment--or my AI Focus Series II amp head. I've also used it as an extension speaker to a Focus Contra that I cobbled together using one of Rick Jones' older Contra EX series speakers.

I've played it with a loud 18-piece big band, in a quiet duo with a guitarist, and with a 7-piece (3 horns) swing band playing for dancing. It has been wonderful in all three applications. I also have one of Jorg's original Mini12+ cabinets, and paired together with the new Mini12, you get a cabinet capable of immense volume, perfect for doubling or loud bass guitar gigs for that matter. The new Sealed Mini is also capable of getting incredibly loud and it doesn't fart out. I find the sound of the Sealed Mini to be preferable for upright--I can't tell you technical descriptions but the sound is very clean, clear and doesn't have the edge that the other Schroeder cabinets have. That edge is of course what allows them to cut through loud on-stages mixes so well. I've been meaning to write a review of the cabinet, and your posting inspired me to do this. I may post this over on the BG side in the Schroeder thread for that matter.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

3. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey thanks -- nice endorsement.

I actually saw that box this morning while surfing around.

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/lt-minibox.htm

I wonder why the cabinet with tweeter is an extra $200???

I've also considered one of his 1210 cabinets -- simply because the reviews are so positive. Interesting he's starting to use the newer "lighter" technology as well.

Keep the great ideas happening -- please! :help:

4. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    That actually isn't the box I've reviewed. The one on the website has the speaker angled and it is ported. The new one has the speaker facing forward, the tweeter is centered above the woofer, and the cabinet is sealed. While both cabinets work OK for upright, the sealed cabinet sounds far superior to my ears. YMMV.

5. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I've been very happy with my Bergantino 112's. I like them better than Wizzy's, but YMMV - EA certainly kicks butt as well. BTW I use SWR heads too.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    One should also take note that if it is a small cab, has extended low-frequency response, and is an infinite baffle/acoustic suspension design, it is likely to be quite insensitive. I'd be curious to know the sensitvity in terms of dB SPL for 1 watt @ 1 meter. Remember folks, every 3 dB corresponds to a doubling of power.

7. What are the dimensions of your sealed 12? 21 lbs. is appealing. What is the logic behind the angled speaker (I know the sealed version is front-facing, I'm just curious).

Thanks!

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    For sheer portability, the Epifani UL-110 or 112 is my current choice. I also have the Berg HT112/EX112 stack and a pair of Schertler PUB 2/280's but those are all pretty heavy so they're relegated mainly to home and studio work. Ron Carter likes his Flite Sound 12 and Steve LaSpina favors a Raezer 12. I've played both of them and they're really nice. When I worked sound at Birdland I got to check them both out. The Flite is unbelievably light and loud. I could not believe it when I picked it up. If I were in the market for another DB cab, the Flite would be my choice.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For double bass, I really like the EA Wizzy or CxL-112 (the Wizzy is a bit more warm, rounded, but still very articulate, the CxL-112 is super clear, and very open sounding), the Bergantino HT112 (though somewhat to my surprise, I like the Walter Woods/Berg combo better on electric bass; on upright, I prefer to drive the HT112 with an iAMP), and the Glockenklang Space Deluxe (it just sounds great with any head, and any instrument!). I recently picked up a Schroeder Mini 12+ (and a 1010), but IME/IMHO, it is not in the same class as these other 1x12's. I was kinda let down, to be honest, based upon the glowing reviews.

Yet another option, which is outside of your stated price range, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, as it is a 1x12, and it is so good on DB, would be the Bergantino IP112. I did a bit of a shootout here.

Tom.

10. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The new sealed box is exactly the same size as the Mini12's shown on Jorg's website--16 inch cubes. I'm not entirely sure of the engineering behind the angled speakers although I understood it be better, more even distribution of the sound, making it easier for the other musicians on stage to hear you as well as listeners who aren't directly in front of the stage.

11. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I can't do a comparison, but I can say that I absolutely love my Wizzy cabs for both BG and DB. Very loud, with great clarity yet with some warmth.

Good luck!
    Liam

12. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Thanks guys...

These are all great suggestions -- more food for thought.

Jason