1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5 String For Under $1500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassNGuns, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BassNGuns

BassNGuns

Aug 20, 2010
    Come on folks, let's hear it!
    I'm looking for something with a thin neck too.
    No tree trunks. ;)
    Thanks in advance.

2. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Depends on what you mean by a thin neck, but if I were you I'd see about getting a used Spector Euro 5. They're beautiful basses which sell for $2000 new but can be had for around $1000 if you keep an eye on CL and ebay. I'd be hard pressed to call the neck thin, but I wouldn't say it's a tree trunk either. If you have a music store near you, try one out.

3. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    Music Man Stingray 5

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Brand New? Fender American Standard Precision V.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    [completely subjective opinion here]

<flame war>

6. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    +1 I also LOVE my MIM Deluxe Active 5-String Jazz

7. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on that lol...

But I would give a shout out to the Music Man Sterling 5 HH. Quality across the board.

The neck is one of the best in my book. Much thinner neck than the AmFDJ V and very comforable.

8. Akshat

Akshat

Dec 7, 2007
    New Delhi,India
    Keeping the Groove staying out of Treble
    carvin

9. Get yourself a used MM. Sterling, Ray or Bongo. All 3 on the classified's here currently.

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    +1 to Carvin, also G&L L2500 trib and Lakland 55-01 are great values!

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, If you are talking new basses, I would say Carvin although lots of Lakland Skylines run under $1,500 too.

12. BassNGuns

BassNGuns

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks so far folks.
    Ya, I've been looking at the Lakland Skylines.
    I heard a guy playing a 55-02 and sounded awesome.
    The bodies look kind of thick, but I'll check em out.
    Any other opinions on like Schector or Warwick?
    Also, what I mean by thin is more like depth instead of width.

13. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    +1 With these bases new, MTD Kingston, Zon Sonus are nice also

Used: Fender Marcus Miller 5 string, Lakland DJ5, pop now and then.

I would be patient save a couple extra dollars and get a Nordy VJ5 used.

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I love my squier affinity, currently with Fended NSC, audere preamp and lorider, total investment $ 200

15. Ibanez Soundgears have thin, fast necks. The Soundgears begin in the low-mid hundreds and go up from there. For $1500, you can pick up one of the Prestige line of Soundgears.

The BTB series is supposed to be the next step up from the Soundgear line but I don't own a BTB so I cannot comment on the neck.

16. New: Lakland Skyline, EBMM,
    Used: Valenti (if you're lucky to see one at that price but it does happen), Peavey Cirrus

17. Lakland Skyline DJ5

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Lakland Skylines.

19. I freaking LOVE my Peavey Cirrus USA 5, got it for $850 and it beats out my Warwick Corvette Std. 5. Now tomorrow my Thumb NT 5 will be arriving, and we'll see how that ends up :D

The best luck I've had with 5's in the price range you're looking at have been Ibanez SR series basses and my Cirrus. I obviously rather like Schecters, but if you have $1500 to spend, you can do better IMHO; they are great for the price, but once you start looking a little more expensive, the electronics can't usually keep up. I've only ever played one Lakland and don't know the model, but it was very nice and a 5 to boot! I've only played EBMM basses at stores, and I'm currently restraining myself from buying one :D

20. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    If you want a thin neck, Ibanez is where it's at. I own a SR4005 (Prestige series -- made in Japan), which falls right at the upper bound of your budget (I bought it new for 1500&#8364;) and it's a brilliant instrument.

Electronics-wise, it has Bartolini pickups (custom design based on MK2's, I believe) paired with a 3-volt preamp (running at unity gain -- yes, it's weird having 2 AA batteries in my bass, but it works ;) ) with 3-band EQ (and a mid-Q knob), which gives you a pretty wide range of tones.

As for playability, it has a thin, ridiculously fast neck, with excellent treble access. 34" scale. One thing you need to keep in mind though, is that the string spacing is pretty tight -- 16.5mm. It's great for fast fingerstyle playing, but it makes slapping more difficult.