1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best 6 string for 700 to 1000 Euros

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vakbass, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I want to buy a 6 string bass and i can give 700 to 1000 euros .
    I have a few on my mind , but i need your advice if you have played them .
    I want something not too heavy , versatile in tone , great looking, and a good built quality , comfortable , good preamp , clarity .

tell me your opinion about those :
    yamaha trb 1006,
    ibanez sr premium 1206 E Vnf ,
    Cort artisan A6

i haven't played any of them because there isn't any local dealer around ( i live in island Creta of Greece ) and i need your help . Tell me about the sound , playability, neck width , spacing , weight, balance and the tone of woods for those basses or the ones that you recommend . All i know about them is how they look and how they sound on Youtube .

Thanks a lot . :help::bassist::D

2. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    I know the TRB well. It's an excellent and versatile axe. I'm sure there are threads to answer almost all of your questions regarding each one. Just do a search, you'll find them. Happy thumping!

3. matrixcs

matrixcs

Nov 10, 2009
    Philippines
    try Cort A6, I have it now.. its really great :)

4. I would like to know how much these basses weight and the neck dive issue ,
    anybody knows ?

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But it's not the best in here...

First of all lemme tell ya I'm with you (our whole country as well) don't give up... I'm not that into EU but I'm surely for Greece and on Greece side!

Back to music
    I love Yamaha TRB1006: it sports exceptional soapbars and a three band equalizer, but best are tonewoods, dual trussrod quality rosewood fingerboard and brass bridge.
    Unfortunately the electronics is not that proficient and even if active soapbars "deliver the goods", same electronics tend to let them suffer to cut thru a thick guitar wall of sound.

The Cort Artisan A6 is a very good bass for the price, but its Bartolinis are not the best ones out there (that equip Ibanez Prestige series) and the Hipshot bridge is heavier and pricier than the former Gotoh one, with less precision.

The Ibanez SR1206 Premium is the winner I think:
    no neckdive, lightweight, quality tonewoods and electronics, a very reliable midrange scoop switch and an on/off switch to disengage three band equalizer and let Nordstrand Big Singles exposed polepieces do the (passive) talking in every band mix

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Thanks for the info , i think that ibanez is the best of all my only concern is that these big Nordstrands are humming a little (singlecoils).

7. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'm telling you:
    I love Yamaha but TRB electronics let those active soapbars hum much, much more than passive (eventually disabled) Nordstrands...

You see on my profile I once had a Yamaha TRB1005 and an Ibanez SR1200E Premium, among others "creatures" that I got

I loved the Yammy more, for a personal affection reason, but the Ibby cut the mix better!

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. The ibanez is a 34 scale bass , is that a problem ? i've heard that 34 scaled basses have less tension than the 35's in the B string . Whats your opinion , is there something you can do for 34's for better B tension ?

9. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Ok: good point, in fact Yamaha TRB are 35"... Yet I go on suggestin' you Ibanez SR1206E Premium

I had problems with Elixir strings (long lastin' mainly because lowtensionin') on Ibanez SRX725 (top of the SRX line neckthru bass guitar...) but, even if I always downtune a full step most of my basses, Ibanez Soundgears never seem to suffer from floppy B string

So I'd say give it a go

Price is really close to Yamaha TRB1006 (a very good soundin' bass indeed) but I think Ibanez Premiums give much more for your money.

The neck is astounding, yet different, on both

Go on with the Soundgear Premium buddy

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. thanks a lot brother in bass for the info , im happy you liked my island its a full of beauty blessed traditional island with great people .

11. here's something else : i've heard that Ibanez basses don't have enough presence when you play live as fenders and musicman basses have and can't support the band with a good base of bass sound , but here's what i think the sr 1206 has those nordstrands which is something new , anyone experienced here ? let me know what's your opinion .

12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Those Nordstrand pickups give your bass a tremendous sound, you can't go wrong with them :hyper: Although, I must say, I would change them for some Nordstrand DualCoil parallel wired pickups, to give the bass more high :)

13. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Very good piece of advice indeed!

Cheers,
    Wallace