1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best 8x10 for the price ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dnarock, Oct 17, 2009.

1. I'm kinda fond of Ampeg stuff . But lately I have checked out some Genz Benz heads that made me think otherwise . so how about some ideas .
    I currently run an Ampeg B2r-E with an older swr 8x10 non ported 4Ohm cab and I play active 5stringers (EMG's Barts 'Basslines) . :bassist:
    So whats a good idea for a New/used cab GK,Peavey , Ampeg , anyothers .
    Im gonna hold on to this cab for a wile so im gonna say 1200 and under :help:

2. anybody ?

3. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Aguilar S810. Discontinued and hard to find, but a lot of people prefer it to the GS and DB series. AND they're less expensive than both.

4. bandl

bandl Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Florence, Mass.
    What's wrong with the SWR you use now? I hear those are supposed to be pretty good.

5. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would just hang onto your swr. You wont be able to beat it without spending alot of money. It should be a top notch cab that will be better than most.

6. well the thing is its not mine ! Plus no handels ,or wheels and the Kid that owns it dosn't play it much but dosent want to sell it . And in fact im not really sure its an swr I just think that becaus it has a very Clean smooth sound not much grit omfh . I Own an 88 peavey tour 2x15 that sounds great but not loud enuff in the high mids for me

7. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I am very pleased with my gallien krueger 810rbx. Though it might not be the best 810 out there it is loud and warm and very punchy and better than my old ampeg 810. Also they are fairly cheap now, say $800?

8. the gk goldlines are also very nice and a lot of stores are selling them for low prices to make room for the new neo series

9. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    My goodness DNA, you sure wanted a lot of info before noon today... I got to bed at 4:30...

Here's what you need to do. Take your head, and prolly the rest of your body too, and drive to the great big music store...

You should be able to pick up just about any of the 810's used right now for about $500. Find one that sounds like you want...

Sure I own abunch of AMPEG 810, they sounded like I wanted. Enjoy yourself, BOB

10. ehh I hate the looks of those they remind me of a beheringer or hartke 2 brand I DONT like at all can they handle much power ?

11. Rbonner If I had 6+ cabs like that I dont know If I would be able to Find time to get my tone past my giant erection lol . I just need one cab for now . Oh and hows the sub system commin along ?

12. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    [​IMG]

[/thread]

13. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    What about the new GK Neo that's coming out soon? IT was just a bit above 100 lbs, and looks really really nice. It's 4 ohms with 800w power handling, and GK tends to make the cabs match the GK ratings, so it isn't an inflated rating like other brands

14. humm I just may have to go to GC today and browse a bit . later guys thanks for the help so far

15. Beck McCartney

Beck McCartney

Apr 21, 2009
    Seattle, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps, Lakland Basses
  16. Carvin makes a pretty decent 8x10. I was playing thru one the other day down at the Carvin Sac showroom and it sounded pretty darn decent. I was playing a Carvin SB4000 bass thru a BX500 with the 8x10.

17. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Best 8x10 for the money? A used USA-made Ampeg...or an Aguilar S810 but those are hard to find.

18. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    ampeg or aguilar. i played and loved the 8x10 ampeg (usa baby), but i've only played an aguilar 12, but the quality of that was exceptional which leads me to believe the 8x10 would sound just as good.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Due to their size, people (wives) often sell 810's cheap cheap cheap just to get rid of them. I'd milk this SWR cab while you're patient and wait for one to pop up for sale.

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    :D