1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bang for the Buck Multitrack around $500.00

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LilRay, Feb 21, 2008.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Hi guys, I have searched the forums here and I wanted to get a fresh opinion on a new multitrack recorder. First I'll list what I'm looking for;
    Standalone Multitrack w/CD burner (8-16 Track).
    Fairly simple to use.
    I'll be recording a three piece band with one vocalist.
    Mostly rehearsals for critiquing new material. But it would be nice to produce something that could be used as a demo for small clubs as well.

I live in a small town very rural. the nearest music store is 25 miles away (GC is 100 miles). With fuel being as high as it is it has become quite costly to drive to a music store, especially with any decent amount of stock.

There are a lot of these available but I wanted to get real world opinions on one before I bought.
    Let me know what you think.

Thanks

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
  3. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Does anyone know anything or have experience with the Fostex MR 16 HD/CD? I dont have a clue about Fostex personally.

4. How good is your computer? For $500, stand-alone models are usually fairly limited in terms of inputs, but for that kind of money you could definitely get an 8-track USB or Firewire interface. Just get some decent software (I personally like Sonar, as it's pretty cheap while still being immensely powerful), and you can lay down as many tracks as you like.

5. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Ebay it, the Zoom MRsomthing I bought i few years ago must be going for about that now, and i have no complaints, im selling myn now tho, I gotta macbook, audio interface and logic softwear which does a much better job, but for a multitrack cnt fault the zoom

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

For rehearsals and scratch demos I suggest the Zoom H2 or H4. In your price range, you're only going to find limited input options. Proper recordings usually require separated drums and vocals otherwise everything is going to bleed through the mics anyway!

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Alesis io26

$400

IMG_0364.

It even comes with a good version of Cubase (PC and Mac). Use whatever CD burner you've got in your laptop/desktop.