1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bang for the Dollar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Revvv, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    OK, I have a limited budget. I need a head that will have enough punch and power to drive a good set of cabs or an 8X10.

I need to get clarity on the low B string without any issues, and I need to do this without being miked. I also need to be able to hit the high notes for Bass solos.

Yes, I need this to happen with a full band that includes a drummer, 2 guitarists, and a vocalist. They are all pushing plenty of power, and have the ability to be overwhelming if need be.

What would be a good deal for around $1000.00 in your opinion? I have looked at what seems to be hundreds of items and have not made up my mind yet. I know that my current rig doesn't do the job, and I need to make something happen.:crying:

Oh, I prefer new stuff. I don't have an issue with used equipment, but I would prefer to have something with a warranty. I also want that new toy smell.

I smell GAS. :D

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    $1000 will buy you a whole lot of amp

there's a lot of options under $1k that will do what you ask, some at considerably less than that price mark--just a matter of what 'flavor' you prefer

you might check out:

gk 1001rb, 800 rb
    markbass LMII
    genz benz shuttle 3.0 and 6.0
    carvin b1500

plenty more, these are just some you might want to consider to help decide what sound you're after

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    ill just echo everything that smoke said. all are good options and will clear the 1000 dollar mark by atleast 200 bucks.

4. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    OK, I need more than just the head. I need to get a couple cabs to with the deal. There are several Heads I have been looking at that are in the $1000 range, but I need to include the Cabs too.

5. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    better looking at buying used if you want a full stack for <$1,000

Or carvin, never played one or seen one in person but many say they are great amps, especially for the $$

6. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia

If a half stack will do the job, and do it well, I'm all for it. I don't know of many that can or will though.

I played an Eden Nemesis today with a 1X15 and a 2X10 that sounded OK, but it didn't have the punch and power needed to do the job.

7. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi

8. You're in luck!!

I'm selling my Thunderfunk TFB 550 B w/ three space rack case here in the classifieds. Never gigged, never left my house. One year old and has probably no more than 20-30 hrs. on it. I never use it. And it's been in a Gator rack case since day one...not a single scratch or blemish.

This amp will do everything you're looking for and is in your budget (used). Search all you want but most people will agree Thunderfunks are among the best...and very light!! 16 lbs. Look at my used gear page...I've already owned, played and gigged with some of the best...and all roads lead me to Thunderfunk!!

I won't say THE best because there is no THE best...it's subjective but for what you get, the 550B is a 4 Ohm beast that will cover all your bases and is plenty loud at 550 watts.

PM me if you're interested. You won't be sorry. :)

9. Saintsfan76

Saintsfan76

Jan 22, 2008
    Okay mine is a tab bit above $1000, but $1400 and a little patience went a long way. GK 1001 rb-II from RMC @ 619 bucks and a Mesa RR 8x10 cab i bought on here used for $800. I can't get it above 11:00 o'clock on the power out dial of the GK without the cops literally being called @ the local pub we play. I'd say a GK1001 and a used Mesa 410 will do you just fine. I've only been playin bass for about 9 months and countless friends and musicians that I look up to have commented on how massive, clean, and articulate my sound is. Patience and research here on TB goes a looooooooooonnnnng way. Granted I suggested a used cab, but a Mesa RR is built like a Sherman Tank and there's not that much electronics to warrant a warranty. Every TB'er I've dealt with on used stuff has been a straight shooter.

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
  11. Look used.

I got my Ampeg SVT-3PRO / SVT 810e stack for $1025 all told from the TB classifieds.

12. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to used gear from the TB classifieds, and +1 to Carvin for both amps and cabs in terms of getting the most bang per buck. You say you want new, so look at a Carvin B1500 and one of their bigger cabs, you should be able to fit your budget and rock fairly hard.

13. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I spent a little over a grand. I purchased an 8X10 Hartke cab and an HA3500 head. They sound great, and seem to do the volume job so far.

Now I need to locate a decent rack mount pre amp so I can mess with the sound a little more.

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'll have to echo Carvin, unless you look at used gear. You still won't get a "full stack" for $1000 new, but you could get a B1500 and the BR810 for under $1300, or the stack with the BR810 and BX1200 head for under $1100. My big rig is the B1500 into 2 x BR115 cabs (I like 15's), and it's absolutely monstrous.

Cheers,
    Liam

15. That sounds like a real nice system! (I like 15's too). I bet it sounds REAL GOOD!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021