Best bass distortion without loosing low end?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 18, 2010.

1. I've used a Dave Hall Amps VT1-HP-bass for quite a while, but it is out of my set after I purchased an Aguilar Agro.Yes, okay, it is a bit more then just a pedal (more like a preamp but hey ...) but you can't complain about losing lows :)

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I'll throw one out in the ring, only because I use it myself:

Ashdown james Lomenzo Hyperdrive AKA, the JLo

3. willseaborn

willseaborn

Apr 28, 2009
    Hamilton, ON
    Wow, this thread is crazy....dude, good luck just filtering through all these suggestions...

After searching for a long time for a good bass distortion, I use a Pro Co Rat "Juggernaut" and it's great, why?

1. Warm "overdriven tube" distortion, not synthetic fuzz
    2. Direct/Distorted signal blend
    3. Independent volumes, with footswitches, for both direct and distorted signals, so I also use the pedal as a volume boost as well as a distortion
    4. Built like a tank

Tried a ton of pedals, Boss, Big Muff, MXR Blowtorch....all sounded thin and synthetic compared to this one. I play jazz basses, so this pedal worked best with these specifically, it may not be the same if you're using an active bass, everything is different.

Hope this helps a bit....good luck!

4. Jotha

Jotha Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    The MXR Blowtorch or the MXR80 are both great choices!!! Not only you can blend the effecto and dry signal, but also the pedals have a regulable gate, so you can stop playing without hear any distortion or sound throught your amp/PA.

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    After reading this I was out and about looking at some of the suggestions of my fellow TBers and I actually came across the Rat in a local used music store. HOLY CRAP!!!!!
    He told me that this was an older model from many years ago, and it looked it but played great. This thing was amazing for 50$ I had no choice but to buy it. It made my pbass with flats sound like rumbles of thunder. This is definately a keeper and with the unemployment checks still coming and only time on my hands I am still shopping for other suggestions from everyone.

6. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    Believe it or not, I've been a fan of the danelectro daddy O pedals. I modified mine with a kit from monteallums and replaced the opamp from the kit with a burr brown to provide lower noise/smoother distortion. I absolutely love it.

7. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    I've never seen one before.. not saying that your wrong, I've jsut never seen one until after NAMM this winter.

and the wiring diagram looks like a true bypass to me.

8. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Can you elaborate on the "wiring diagram"? If the LS-2 is true bypass, it would be the first (and only) Boss pedal that is!

Wait,.... Is it possible you mean that the attached effects are completely bypassed?

9. I don't believe that any Boss pedals have ever been true bypass. However, contrary to what some people say, I think their buffered bypass is very clean, and IMHO most stories of tone suck are due to biased and selective hearing, mixed with a bit of cork-sniffing.

The LS-2 has been out for at least several years. If you look through the Pedalboards of the Stars thread, you'll see them on boards for at least the last 5 years.

Not sure what wiring diagram you're talking about.

10. Indeed! I have one on order....saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Source-Audio-So...emQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2eab172141

And, after reading the review in BP and watching the demo deal on the Ebay site (toward the bottom of the page) figured I'd give it a try...hope it is as good as it sounds!!

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    This. But then again we all know that no star has ears as discerning as ours. :D

12. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    So, after doing some serious research last night, i have this to say.

everyone needs to the tech 21 site and read their article about what true bypass is.
    i learned a lot that i didnt' know before, including the fact that i was wrong about what i said about the ls2.

now, that out of the way. I found the wiring diagram for the LS-2 in the owners manual, which you can download from boss's website.

yes it has been around a number of years, but apparently, this years model is different (somehow) which explains why the guy at *expletive deleted* guitar center told me it was new this year. ( i hate guitar center, but unfortunately, it's a required devil sometimes.)

so, the boss pedals, (and many ibanez) use a different type of switch than the "true bypass" models, the "normal bypass" models and the "buffered bypass" models. but from the way it reads from everything I could find, they function in the same way as either a normal bypass, or a true bypass, without being either. so...yah that sucks, no idea there. (someone said that they are buffered, which if true would be what Tech21 recommends)

and for arguments sake.. IF the LS-2 WAS "true Bypass", then it would indeed bypass all the effects in the loop when in bypass mode, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WOULD WANT IT TO DO. and just as it does with whatever sort of bypass it actually has.
    so please don't make snooty comments trying to make me sound stupid.

thanks for challenging my statement and making me research my poopiehouse law.

13. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Nobody's trying to be 'snooty'. :meh:

In the music electronics industry, it's generally accepted that the term "true bypass" refers to a switching sytem that directly connects the input and output of the disengaged (off) device without use of active electronics, op-amps, etc... "True bypass" as a term does not refer to the general loop switching that I believe you used it. To say that the LS-2 bypasses attached effects would be correct, but the usage of the term "true bypass" in this context is misleading to those using the common nomenclature.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No love for the EBS MultiDrive huh?

I'm diggin' the hell outta mine.

15. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The Boss ODB-3 is a solid choice. If you use it in a subtle manner, with say the balance & gain setting at 8 o'clock, and EQ to taste, it adds nice upper register harmonics without getting too fuzzy. It's built like a tank and will work forever. Something to consider if you play out a lot. Some of the higher priced boutique pedals may sound better but they die easily. AFWIW I've never owned an EH pedal that didn't give up the ghost within a year. So sad.

16. BooHead

BooHead

Oct 12, 2009
    I have one of these and it is great.

17. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Hmmm. Which "higher priced boutique pedals" that you've had failed? Just curious.

You aren't considering EH pedals 'boutique' are you?

18. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Then here's one more of the 300 recommendations. I love the Bad Monkey. I like it pretty well as is, but the ultimate is the modded one for bass. VERY nice pedal.

http://www.haudiomods.webs.com/

The thing I like about it is that it's so controlled down in the mild ranges. It's not the "overt the top" thing that I hate.

19. Well, FWIW...I received my Soundblox Pro today and have been sort of playing around with it (can't do too much - I have a show later tonight) but at first glance, this bad boy is just that - a bad boy!

I (so far) am EXTREMELY pleased with the variations that can be achieved from single band, foldback, multiband, octave, and (literally) hundreds of combinations contained therein...

This is going to be fun....:D

20. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    i must admit , i watched the demo.. and now have serious GAS

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021