Best bass distortion without loosing low end?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    I'll just give you a list of pedals that got positive reviews on this site:
    Fulltone bassdrive (mosfet)
    Fulltone OCD
    Fulltone fatboost
    xotic bb preamp
    digitech bad monkey (or better the modded badder monkey)
    Voodoo labs sparkle drive
    Electronix gemini drive
    BJFE blueberry
    Way Huge pork loin
    Electro Harmonix english muff'n
    EBS multidrive
    EBS valvedrive
    Polish love aka lil jovi or whatever
    Cream pie
    VT bass
    Catalinbread SFT
    Barber LTD
    Sansamp .... driver ... bass ... something

These are all overdrive pedals which I presume your after. If you want fuzz that's a whole nother ball game. There are more options out there so do some research here on tb and see what's in your budget.

2. Ruckus_Instrmts

Ruckus_Instrmts

Jan 5, 2010
    NEO
    I must praise AMT pedals!

I use the Communist and Capitalist Pig pedals and both sound phenomenal! But for what you describe I actually would crank the gain knob on my AMT Slap Bass pedal and riff away. Can you tell I like AMT stuff? I tried that Boss stuff its just so mediocre and generic in every way. The T-Rex pedal is awesome too.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Based on the tone I think you want, I'd recommend the Xotic BB preamp. It sounds like you might want a mid-rich pedal. However, the BB doesn't have a blend! Still, you should try it.

I love the Bass Big Muff, and it is versatile w/ good lows in the "dry" mode, but I think it might be far more gain than you describe.

The EBS Valve Drive will definitely get you there, but there is a learning curve to it's tone-stack style eq. It's one of the most versatile & natural od's out there! But again, no blend! It does preserve the inherent tone of the input source very well, though. If you can find one to spend at least 20 minutes with (to dial in a sound, there's lots of knobs/controls), it will be well worth it.

The T-REX Bass Juice sounds great & has a blend! However, it borderlines on the "fuzz" spectrum. Might not 'grunt' like I think you want.

Surprisingly, the Fender Sub-Lime bass "fuzz" might work. It has a crossover/blend function and has more mids than most fuzzes. Plus, the 'fuzz' sounds very od-like with lower gain settings. It has the ability to be very earth-rattling and sinister without sounding brittle.

That's my 2cents based on what you're looking for. There aren't a lot of od's with onboard blend that I have enough experience with. :meh:

4. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    I know these are pretty rare but I was lucky to walk in a pawnshop and buy a 70s AD/A Final Phase and it is killer. I been offered some crazy money for it but I am scared I want be able to get the sound again f I let it go.

5. Anchors

Anchors

Nov 15, 2008
    This, yes, this!

DO IT

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    But he said he wanted a pedal that retains low end!

7. jetlaggemini

jetlaggemini

Jun 3, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, GHS, Dunlop, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan
    EHX bass muff. 80 bucks new, bass boost setting, dry signal mixed with wet setting. you wont loose any low end and its by far the best sounding distortion/fuzz for that money.

8. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Agrred, the BBM is one of the best Fuzzes for bass, regardless of price.

But, the op doesn't want 'fuzz' or saturated 'distortion'.

9. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    Green soviet Big Muff hands down. listen to the earlier Ben folds Five records...

10. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I think a clean-blend pedal would be worthwhile for the op. You end up needing 2 separate pedals- but it totally opens up the dirt pedal options & gives you that "on top of the sound" character!

I swear by the Xotic X-Blender. The additional eq, cut or boost volume control and blend that can be adjusted with your foot on-the-fly make it indispensable to me!

11. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    A new entry - the Source Audio Soundblox Multiwave Bass Distortion - has a really nice distorted tone without the loss of the low end. Also, has many, many types of distortion to choose from as well. Highly customizable and worth a look (or listen.)

12. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    i second this pedal. it is capable of many good sounds asa well.

and the other post that blending your original signal with a eq or tone controlled distortion box.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
  14. Try EBS MultiDrive
    It has three different distortions: Valve Simulator, Standard (The only OD I've actually liked) and Flat (Heaviest), plus an Active/Pasive switch you can use as a boost or a tone shaper :cool:
    The pedal does rob some of your HIGH end, but it doesn't sound muddy at all and the low end growls like a Jazz bass on SVT if you know what I mean ;)

15. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    something i've discovered inthe last few days..

get the boss LS-2. it's an effects looping pedal. (not a delay looping pedal)

basically, you run your cable from your bass into the Ls-2, then your effects chain out of it, then back into it. then you run a cable from there to the amp. it has a blend on it in the form of two entirely seperate volumes for each channel. it does some more complicated stuff too, but with this, you can blend ANY of your effects into your main, CLEAN tone.
    plus, it's true bypass.. so if you want to shut it all off for a bar or four, you can jsut by bypassing the loop.
    alternatively, you can kill any of the effects in the chain the same way you normally would.
    this is a really awesome pedal, i'm glad they finally made it.

16. I'm always pleased with anything Tech 21 puts out.

17. Al Berry

Al Berry

Jan 15, 2008
    Los Angeles area
    ZVex Woolly Mammoth Bass fuzz rules!!!

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I like my EBS MultiDrive.

19. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not true bypass, and they've been making it for many years. :) However that's not to take away from any of the other good things you said, and I completely agree that a parallel blend is a a great tool for making distortions work with bass.

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Boss LS-2 is most certainly NOT true bypass. When off, it does suck tone. I sold mine because of it. It is quite noticeable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021