1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for $3k-$5k?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex000, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Alex000

Alex000

Jan 18, 2008
    Endorsing Artist (I back..): Sadowsky, Fender, Aguilar Amplification.
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a bass that's in the 3k-5k price range, to get my foot in the door doing studio work. Do I go for vintage?? Or something new like Sadowsky/Alembic/Lakland?? I'm not sure what producers in general desire more on a regular basis. I know everyone's different. Sorry I know this is a vague and random question, but I would LOVE to be pointed in the right direction. If I don't need to spend that much, wonderful :) . I have a custom shop fender jazz bass (made to 2009 specs, but with an all natural/ash body), a fender american 57 and 62 reissue p basses.

alex

2. In my opinion, if you need to ask your not ready to spend that much money!
    Play more basses, wait for some time and at some point you will know what you need and how much you need to spend!

Regarding studio work, most producers would be happy if you turn up with a P or a J!
    I always take my 66 jazz and G&L SB2 to studio sessions and nobody ever complained...

Also, i dont see whats wrong with any of the bass you listed to do studio work!?!

3. In that price, you could look into Custom Warwicks. Gotta love 'em...

If it's a custom bass your hankerin' for, there's HUNDREDS of custom manufacturers out there. Searching simply "custom basses" will bring up a couple.

If not, then you could get a nice Ric 4003. That's what I'd do :D

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Alleva-Coppolo is really impressing me lately. Really well made basses that nail that vintage tone.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Engineers like to see a P or a J, and prefer the name "Fender" to be on the headstock. I'm not saying it's "right", but that's what makes them feel comfortable. Typically vintage stuff makes them even happier.

(IME, IMO, YMMV, YADA, ETC, SO ON, SO FORTH)

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    No such thing as a 'best' bass in the price range you've given or perhaps any price range.

One thing to decide: do you want to buy new or second hand? If you add second hand into the mix you open up a whole load of options and at the end of the day it's going to come down to what fits you best.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions!

7. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    +1 for Carlos

The instruments you have are Fine....
    As it stands you don't Need to spend any money

I had a RI jazz a while ago and got absolutely no complaints when I brought it to the few sessions that she had before it left for an alembic.

I must say though the Lakland basses are beyond nice.

You'll get nothing but compliments from engineers

8. Archaeobass

Archaeobass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    This. ^^^

9. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    At this price range, i think anything will worth it, but, not anything will suit your need/taste. So, don't judge only on a critique, and use your ears too. And your hand...

10. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Bass PLayer magazine said The victor wooten Fodera was the best above $2500

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'd go vintage for that kinda dough - then it'll appreciate.

12. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm a Warwick lover, but honestly i can tell you tha you will consider a ROSCOE bass maybe? i think they make Fine basses for that range of money, absolutely gorgeous finish, and the sound probably in the same way! Good Luck

13. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I'd go for a CT bass.. :oops:

that's just for me..

14. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Studio work? They still have that? :p

15. Pedulla.

16. Alex000

Alex000

Jan 18, 2008
    The Custom jazz that I have is pretty amazing honestly. I guess I always feel I need to get something better, always. Always have! the never satisfied approach. I had a good friend of mine tell me "If you want to be taken seriously, you need to show up with the right gear to be TAKEN seriously." It's stuck in my head now that I need to show up with an early 60's jazz to get the best gigs. Or at least catch someone's attention. I also understand that some of the best bassists have extremely ordinary basses.

17. Alex000

Alex000

Jan 18, 2008
    I've thought about vintage, too! The fact that it will appreciate makes it a sensible investment. Maybe an early 70's jazz I could affford...

18. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Maybe an MTD, F basses are awesome as well.

Frankly though If I were you I'd get a stringray 5 AND a bongo 6, which you could do for that much money. I think between the fender style basses you've got, you've got the passive sound covered if engineers want that, and you also have the more aggressive active sound taken care of with the Music Mans. That or maybe an NT Warwick thumb 5.

You might want to look at a good fretless as well maybe.

19. Alex000

Alex000

Jan 18, 2008
    why did you switch to alembic/lakland if Fender was perfectly fine? I've considered laklands too :)

20. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    SX.