1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steveomcq, Mar 13, 2009.

1. steveomcq

steveomcq

Feb 21, 2009
    Im looking for a good bass for slapping and popping but would also be good for blues. Price range around £100-£210.

These have caught my eye so far.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14234-vintage-v940-active-bass-bubinga.html

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-EST96-Active-Bass-Guitar-Nat/2K8

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass_Guitars/Bass_Guitars/Bass/sc1114/p7379.aspx

Although i must say i prefer the look of the Vintage EST96 out of them.

Any opinions or other suggestions:)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    One that's been bad! :)

3. Any one of those basses would be decent for slapping IMO. I like the bubinga bodied one simply because it reminds me of my Warwick Corvette and it has an active preamp in it. The Squier jazz is also a nice one but from what I saw it was passive. It's still a nice bass for the price you're paying but I like active basses for slapping, my own personal preference, YMMV.

4. steveomcq

steveomcq

Feb 21, 2009
    Cheers mate, thats the one my friend chose aswell:p

5. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Right on! A perfect answer!

ROFL :D

6. Now you can always look for something used and get a little higher quality bass for that kind of money. I know there's some MIM Fender Jazz Deluxes on ebay and in the TB classifieds here.

7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I really don't think that active basses are any better than passive basses when it comes to slapping. I still think that, overall, a Fender Jazz is the best bass for getting the kind of slap I like to hear (thick and punchy).

8. steveomcq

steveomcq

Feb 21, 2009
  9. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    deppends a LOT on what you're looking for, slapping in an active Ibanez wouldn't be the same as slapping a passive Fender, but non should be better, just different, way different xD

so, you should check vids in youtube or something for the models you like

10. That's why I said "my preference" since there's so many likes and dislikes out there when it comes to slap tone. I like a modern stainless steel string slap tone which is what I think the first one will give him. To each his own.

It's really your call as to which one you like. Olympic white is nice but at the same time a transparent white does it for me. Either one will get you a nice tone. Just remember that a slap tone of a bass doesn't rely just on the bass. There's also technique, amps, and cabs to look at too when you're looking at what tone you want. In the end it's all up to you. that tort PG on the white one looks killer. I think the white one has a different bridge as well.

11. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    They do seem to be different spec-wise (the Squiers) and, from what I can see, I would go for the 60s Jazz (the white one). Off course, it's always difficult to say without first being able to try the thing out.

12. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    no opinion on which bass is better or worse, that is a matter of preference.
    i will say, that in my experience, when comparing lower priced basses to higher price basses, low priced passive electronics aren't drastically different from higher priced passive electronics. low priced active electronics, however, often leave something to be desired to say the least.

either way, electronics are an easy upgrade.

13. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    just dont buy off them there thieves... use soundslive.co.uk

14. It would seem to me that the Music Man-copy would be good for slap & pop,if it sounds anything like a real one. But.........Never,ever,rule out a J-Bass though.

15. What are you going to be slapping with it? That might help. Is this part of the fish slapping dance? :ninja:

16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I think fresh roundwound strings are paramount to getting an effective slap tone-in
    addition to a smiley faced eq curve. That being said, I'd go with any Jazz type bass-
    action pretty low, both pups on full, tone wide open. Thunder thumbs away!

17. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    buy a squier modified jazz bass (the one that looks like the fender reissue 75) and put some elixir strings (roundwounds of course!) on it, and I can tell you that you won't be disapointed.

18. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    .. go with the Squier. If it´s got a nice straight neck, you can do anything with it. Pimp it later with some decent pickups, nordstrands or fralins or the german harry haeussels.

19. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    That would depend entirely on the type of 'effective' slap tone that you're after ;)

My Precision with TI Jazz Flats and flat eq sounds just right to me...

20. steveomcq

steveomcq

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys:)

Think i know what im gonna get now