1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass for small hands ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gröt, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Gröt

Gröt

May 1, 2008
    Hi !

Well...i have always played on my Fender P and still do, but i got quite small hands
    and i wonder if you have any ideas about another way to go.

There are some 32" basses i think and there are the mighty Geddy with it´s thin neck.

What do you suggest ?

Cheers,

/Gröt

2. Thinner necks are always a good place to start. Having good, ergonomic form will become just as important as a good bass. A good 5 string is always nice because you can play the same notes in a higher position with less of a reach.

3. Scwwitt

Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
  4. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Maybe check the Ibanez sr's ,sr 500 etc.Ibanez also has the micro bass to.The thing with the sr500 is the body is thinner and is going to be very light too.the neck is super thin ,close to the geddy if not more,I have played each but never had them side by side .

5. Scwwitt

Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    You must be a lover of them!

6. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Don't know your budget, but my son plays a Gretsch Electromatic short scale bass. It is fairly inexpensive, has a nice tone, and is a great fit for him. He is about 5'1" and has hands about the size you would expect for an 11-year old that height. Not quite comfortable yet with a full scale bass, but getting there.

And I have to admit, I enjoy playing the Gretsch as well, as a break from my Jazz.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
  8. Gröt

Gröt

May 1, 2008
    Thx guys for all good info ! Most grateful :)

9. may not be in your price range but I love the Ibanez K5, ignore what fiedly says, using the mids you can a HEAP of tones out of the EQ and its light and has small string spacing, when I pick it up it just makes me want to play :)

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    y'know, as someone who also has small hands, i find a Pbass to be really difficult to play. sux, tho', i love the sound of 'em.

try a jazz, see how it fits. the geddy lee ROCKS.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you are rich and don't mind a bit of weirdness in the looks, the Kubicki Ex Factor 32" scale bass may be the best thing out there to meet your description.

[​IMG]

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    That's why they call me Mama :smug: Happy to help :bassist:

13. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    I always found the Jazz Bass neck more comfortable than the Precision Bass's neck.

All in all, just take a field day in Guitar Center or any other music store, and try everything out.

14. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

You may want to check out Luna Basses.

The Andromeda got me through several gigs before having carpal tunnel surgery and they do have a Paz Lenchantin (sp?) Sig model, P-Bass style, that they just released.

Just a thought that you may want to consider as an option to the other fine suggestions already posted.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Hofner !

16. The viola is 30" very easy to play and alot of fun,depending on your playing style.:bassist:

17. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    This may be a somewhat controversial position on the matter but here goes..

I too have very small hands but I have found that a P-bass or my NYC Empire, which have fairly meaty necks are very playable and comfortable if one has good technique. With your thumb in the middle of the neck and fingers arched to form a C shape, even small hands can easily play a Louisville Slugger of a P-Bass neck. The bass must be worn fairly high to maintain good hand posture.

It's when players have their thumb hanging over the finger board and they wear the bass by their knees that one can get into real trouble with small hands.

Try and play a double bass with bad hand posture and technique...ouch, that hurts. With correct technique, I can play a fat neck.

If you prefer the feel of thin neck, well that is a different matter. Lots of suggestions of sleek necks in this thread.

18. High posture is decent to a certain extent, but high positioning of the bass isn't easy on the plucking hand and can force one to work their shoulder muscles a bit. I always advocate mid gut playing with about a 45 degree angle on the bass to capture the best of both worlds.