1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass wah????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So what is the best bass wah in your experience and opinions??

2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Or best wah for bass in other words. Not necessarily a wah designed for bass

3. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    For funky:
    The GCB-95 and GCB-95(Bass model) running in parallel. There isn't much difference between the two and individually sound thin and broke, but in paralle they sound deep AND funky.

For power:
    Telray Power Wah.

4. Dunlop Bass wah is ok. I liked it.

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I had tried a Morley bad hoarsie II at guitar center the other day and thought it sounded just a little thin. Is that gonna be sorta what the telray is gonna give me as well?? I do really want one that has some umpf to it. An employee at a notable guitar shop recommended I try the dime bag wah.

6. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    The new Morley's and the old Morley Telray line are totally different.

Morley= wah
    Telray= wwwaaaAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRGHHHHSSSHHHHHHAAHAHAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can get your hands on a Telray Power wah and have the cash to do so, get it. Even if you don't like it you can usually recoup your cash.

7. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I am by no means a wah expert by I very much enjoy my Plutonieum Bass Chi-Wah. If for no other reason, its tiny form factor made it possible for me to add a wah to my board.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    If you can get the Dunlop modded for true bypass (it's a bit of a tone sucker) then it's my favorite funky wah.

For both rock and funk the Wilson is pretty nice as well.

I'm not a metal guy but for Cliff Burton stuff you can't beat the old Morleys.

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    The 105Q is a cool pedal. Some folks mentioned it's a bit in ones face but I look at it as making it's presence known.

If you can find one the Wilson 12 position bass wah is cool. They seem to sell used for about the same as 105Q sells for new. That makes them a bargain.

People like the EBS wah 1. And I always wonder what would happen if the Mutron III was built into a wah pedal.

It's a great time to be alive for any bassist with a taste for effects.

10. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    I like my G-Lab Bass Wowee Wah.

11. This is going to be a totally productive and informative thread.

12. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    +1 for the G-Lab wah,..should never have sold mine. Damn you GAS!!!

13. I don't have much experience, but I just got a 105q and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. You can get them off of eBay pretty cheap.

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Since there are thousands of bassists here on TB let me make a suggestion. It seem like the Moog Low Pass Filter might be riged to perform wah duties using the EP-2 expression pedal.

Has anyone done that and would they be willing to write about the experience. The Murf might be a candidate for wah-hood also. The Moog pedals may be pricey but if you can get more than one function out of them, or any other pedal, the bang for the buck ration goes up.

I look forward to hearing from someone who has tried this.

15. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    weeping demon is the best i have ever heard

16. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I like my Rocktron Utopia Bass wah. Hello Music.com blows them out all the time for cheap - $75.

17. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Dunlop 105Q. Done.

18. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I've used newer morleys, Dunlop 105q, 535, as well as gcb 100, and many more.
    The single wah I keep returning to us my ibanez weeping demon. It can get really 'cliffy' and gets used in plenty of environments.
    Unfortunately they don't seem to be making them anymore :(
    Though on the plus side I have two ;)

I hoping to find a bass chi wah wah to try though.

19. For some people, this wah is great. Others find it utterly useless due to a weak Q. Like I said (sarcastically), this thread will prove to be a totally productive and informative thread.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Bass cry baby works alright.