1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Big Muff Pi variant for bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesh, Aug 13, 2012.

1. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Am building a Big Muff Pi and am a bit unsure which variant to go for.

Several have changes to prevent the mid scoop of standard BMPs, which sounds good, but apart from that I have no idea which would best suit bass.

No low roll off is obviously crucial, with fuzz giving apparent bass roll off anyway I don't want actual loss of my lows.

Anyone any thoughts? I know people here like the Fuzzrocious version of this classic.

2. the fuzzrocious does sound great. myself i like my good ol' ehx big muff.

63ee1dd9.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My favorite is the Blackout Musket, with the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B coming in second.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying all of the "real" Big Muffs, but I do prefer the Black Russian to the newer American Muff. I had a tall font Russian that I liked, but that was a long time ago and I wasn't able to compare between others.

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I thought pickle pie b is based on swollen pickle which is based on fuzzface

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    In what universe is the Swollen Pickle based upon the Fuzz Face?

Anyway, to the OP: I love my green Sovtek Muff. So does Robert Sledge (Ben Folds Five). And Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth, if her divorce didn't end that band). If you're to build a Big Muff clone, that's always a popular one.

6. Bluebeard gets a lot of praise from my area of music.

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I read somewhere on talkbass but I may remember it wrongly, its a thread on wooly mammoth and people were discussing the fuzz face variant.

8. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

Nov 20, 2011
    What do you set yours too?

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I suggest a wren and cuff tallfont russian. Those old green russians are so amazing. I love my original bubble font muff. and a second place would be the pickle pie b. I love the blend knob on it.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the swollen pickle is just a big muff variant using different transistors and a different tone stack.

11. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Guys...I think your missing the OP's point. He's building a muff.
    The version online with a schematic that has the least midscoop is the GGG-tuned (via general guitar gadgets).
    That is, unless the OP is buying a muff clone to trace and mod.
    Also google "big muff mods" and check out the mids mod to add in mids to kill that midscoop.

12. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    I'd recommend a Tall Font Russian clone (make sure you use 500pF or two 1nF in parallel for the feedback caps) with an added mids knob. I find there is low roll with the GGG but apart from that it's a great pedal..

Also have a look at the madbean mudbunny boards which make it really easy to add a mid control, with them you'd be looking at the Civil War variant as they don't have the Tall Font listed but their Civil War matches the Tall Font I have here, just remember the 500pf rather than the 470pf listed..

13. volume is at about 10ish
    tone is at 12
    gain is maxed out

ive got a audio clip if your intrested

14. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    yeah, i'm building one from scratch

I have googled, and obviously know how to modify it in a dozen different ways. What i'm interested in is how these things sound, which is hard to judge from a BOM.

Thanks for the GGG tip, I've seen that name recommended elsewhere.

I'm probably going to replace the tone stage with a two knob version, and play with some different diode combinations. I really need to bread board the whole thing and see what I like.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the blackout effectors 'Musket' is a nice BMP variant. it has an additional mid boost/cut control as well as the standard tone control. it also has a 'pre' control that lets you 'load' the input to suit you pickups and a 'focus' control to adjust how much low end goes thru the clipping circuit. i built one and modded it to taste and i think it's a great version of a BMP for use with a bass.

16. moose23

moose23

Dec 27, 2007
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    The pre control is an LPB1 and the focus control blends between two input caps. Cool mods alright but you'll get more bass through the circuit with larger feedback caps.

17. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    yes, i was thinking this (but more to roll off highs) as the musket uses 470p, but many others use 560p. do you think 560p is high enough?

18. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I use 561s in the GS. No complaints about bass rolloff.

19. I used this guide when building my Muff. The Civil War is my favorite due to its darker and smoother sound

20. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    That guide is great. I also found this http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/mods.html about diode mods and a great graphic about the circuit

[​IMG]