1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best combo amps from $350-$400 and under?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Decoyx7, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I need a good, loud amp. maybe like 100 watts or something...something I can actually clearly hear under drums, two loud guitarists and vocals. I dont have much of any money, and my Fender Rumble 30 is just not cutting it. What's a good, loud combo amp? With some nice, classic sound with it? But cheap? I've seen Acoustic brand amps are cheap...but I'm not sure about the durability or quality of them. I've played some at Guitar Center, and they seem a bit...cheap...I guess. Ampegs are legit I suppose, But I REALLY want to try to stay between $200 and $300. But I could try to push up to $400 if I needed. I suppose I just need a LOUDER amp, but I can't exactly turn up any amps to 11 in the middle of Guitar Center to see how loud it gets. Anyone have any suggestions? I could always go look for a legit used amp, I don't see any problem with that.

2. Go used. 200 watts into a decent cab will be loud.

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    If a COMBO amp is what your looking for, I have now and have had many Acoustic combo amps and I have never had a quality issue Re: their sound, or construction, I know some here dont like them and thats fine everyone has different taste and budget, but for the money and wattage you may want to reconsider unless you go used and then thats a whole different ball game.. just my opinion ..

4. GK MB112!

5. I've got a Yorkville 400B combo that's plenty loud....and it sounds great. Got it for $250 used. In a venue of 100 people and a band that consists of guitar, drums, keys, lead singer and two back up singers, I've got the gain on 3 and the volume between 3-3.5. For your purposes you may not need 400 watts so you may be able to find a 200B for less cash.

6. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    In my opinion, I would go for at least 200wts and a 15" speaker or a 2-10" combo. With 100wts, you might have a hard time keeping up with drums and two guitars and if you can, your tone my suffer. If you can swing the $400, the Gallien Kruger MB115 would be an excellent choice. I have the MB210 and after playing mine, a good friend got the MB115 and it sounds great, he loves it. I think that the for the price, the tone and light weight technology make the GK MB line a great deal.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Used Ashdown EVO300 MagII 2x10 combo is a good one in that ballpark. I picked one up for $300 and it's great. Plenty of power for small to medium sized gigs and you can buy a 15" extension cab for it at a later date if you decide to play larger venues.

8. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I've used an Ampeg B3 (150W, 115) for small indoor/outdoor gigs before with no problems.

9. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I'd shoot for the GK MB112. While the MB115 sounds good, it's reaaaally boomy. I've tried different basses (Lakland P / Ibanez BTB1000e) and find it very hard to get a tone that doesn't rumble the wall. I've used the MB112 with the Lakland and didn't have that problem at all.

10. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    In that price range you can get quite a lot of you look for something used.

I love Craigslist. In that price range you should have no troubling finding a combo or a rig that would meet your needs. You'll have to balance what you want. If it's newer it will have to be lower-end to fit your budget. If it's higher end it will have to be older, but not vintage yet.

I just checked my local GL and saw a 215XL Hartke cab for $275 and a Hartke HA 2000 head for $170. That's a bit over your high end, but most likley you could get both for less. My point is that with a little searching and some common sense you can get a decent rig in your price range.

11. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Rumble 150 or 350 combos - the new Rumbles sound really good imho - powerful and cheap - I really think the 150 is a steal at $350 new....

used Peavey stuff also always worth it.....imho

12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    If I were in the market for a combo I'd also look at one of these.. Carvin Micro Combos Maybe the 112 or the 115 .. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet and the features:price point ratio is PDG.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    A 100w amp isn't gonna be enough to get you home against the other competition you list. In fact 200w will barely be enough if your drummer and guitarist(s) are that loud.

The 200w GK MB112 and MB115 are in your price range, are realiable, sound great, and are an honest 200w amp that you can push hard. I prefer the 112 for it's tighter more focused sound but in your case the 115 may be a better choice to push through the volume of the others.

Either way your getting a combo from a top of the line company with a rep for really good products. These amps are amazingly loud and very good sounding for their size.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I know. I just sold my MB115 and ordered a MB112. It was too boomy..

15. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Nov 30, 2010
    In your price range one of the best "bang for buck" is the Acoustic B200 combo. (if you are buying new) great sound and it can get plenty loud.

16. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    +1 to this. Unless you're absolutely certain about buying brand new, you can save a lot of coin buying used. I'd go that route, especially as it seems you're buying your first bass setup that will be gig capable.

If you are going to buy new, +1 to the Acoustic combos. They're quality for the price.

17. Aruiz773

Aruiz773

Jun 21, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Ampeg B3 is probably the best bang for the buck. I work at a music store in Chicago and these go for about $275 used. Could definately keep up with a drummer. My only complaint is that they clip real easy with active basses, however it does have a pad.

Also a used peavy Combo 300 go for around $250-$300 used. Good ****, cause its old peavy. If you can find a cheap cab, I also suggest the peavy mark III. those things are loud and work forever. Good Luck!

18. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China

ime any single 12 is not going to cut it in a band setting....even a walkabout 12 struggles against drums and a 40w tube ccombo....

1115 or 2x10.....or 2x12 works....:bassist: