1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best combo on the market

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigou, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bigou

bigou

Mar 17, 2008
    Mont St-Hilaire, QC
    Actually I have a cheap 60's bass that I rebuild but I planned to bought a Rickenbacker as soon as I can find one in good condition at a fair price.
    I'm looking for a combo (100 watts minimum) to fit with that kind of bass. Any suggestion/experience are welcome.

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    The one that works best for me is the Mesa Scout combo..its not the best out there - but I love mine....

3. There's probably a 'best for you', though. :)
    I imagine the Scout would work very well w/a Ric; I loved the Eden CXC-110 I once had(long story involving changing gigs). 200 watts IIRC, 1X10, 50 lbs or so. Good DI, 2 ohm capable, awesome tone.

4. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I am loving my Markbass CMP-102. I hear great things about their other combos. Lightweight, powerful, and clean. Standard disclaimers apply - I'm just a customer!

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Bigou, The new Acoustic amps and combos that are at G.C. are getting great reviews. Acoustic has a combo 200, 1-15" and horn, 200 watts, xlr out, ect., .... $349.00

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I'll second the motion that the new Acoustics are great if you're on a budget.

BUT I didn't even begin checking out the Markbass stuff as it's over my spending limit. I did demo a bass on a 2x10 model which I tried not to pay too much attention to (didn't want to get GAS), but its excellent sound got my attention anyway. With more money to burn, that's where I'd look (sorry, Acoustic B200 -- I still think you sound GREAT!).

7. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    I'm lovin my MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So, the real question is "what's the best cheap combo", right? No shame in that at all, but it's very different from asking for "the best on the market".

What is your actual maximum budget?

9. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    Am I actually the first to say it? The Ampeg B100R - used you can find them for $300 or so, and that, IMHO is a GREAT combo deal.

Oh yeah.

10. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    It all depends on what you need out of a combo amp.

I have owned many (EBS Drome, Hartke, SWR, Ampeg, Eden, Line 6, Roland etc.) but have settled on the newer tilt-back Fender Bassman 100.

It's small, lightweight (very important), has enough power (for me), has a switchable tweeter as well as a good built in DI. It simply works well and it's 10" speaker handles the low B on my Rob Allen MB-2 fretless 5 just fine.

Fender also makes a 150 watt version of this combo with a 12" speaker. I would seriously suggest checking one of these out.

If you are looking for a combo to use for Rock gigs check out the Eden Metro or the SWR Redhead. Both of these kick some serious booty but they cost a lot more, and they are bigger and much heavier.

11. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Check out the Ashdown combos as well.

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you can get a US one. I would step up into the B200 though.

13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    "Oh yeah" indeed, but I've never seen one for $300. At that price I'd probably buy two -- and I've already got one. Monstrous tube-like tone, and more volume than you'd have any right to expect.

I've also got a little B50R (which I don't use much since I picked up the B100R), and have been tempted to complete the set with a B200R. However, there have been so many problems with the latter -- some of which have been fixed and others not -- that I'd be reluctant to go that route unless I was buying from someone I really trusted and/or could check it out thoroughly myself before buying.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Definitely not cheap, but it's the best combo that I've ever owned.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Now that the Markbass, as well as the Ampeg, has garnered more support, this is a reminder that you've gotta start thinking about the kind of tone you want. The Markbass was described as "clean," whereas the B100R is anything but that: It is designed to emulate a fat tube amp (specifically, an old B15). If you want "clean" then the MB sounds like the right choice; if you want an old-school tube-y sound then the the B100R can't be beat (in a combo).

16. Rickman

Rickman

Jul 17, 2008
    Sorry, no answers, but I have a Rick 4001 that I`m currently playing through a Trace Elliot 1x15 combo. The amp has served me well, I get a good sound but not "that" sound associated with a Rick. Anyone got any ideas as a replacement? I understand Hartke has a few combos with tube preamps as well as solid state. Would this help? My budget is around $1000 or £500 . Any replies would be most welcome.

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Same here. Best I've ever owned or tried, in fact.

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yeah, maybe a Trace is not the ideal thing to get that classic Rick tone - although I'm not knocking Trace stuff, it does a great job for people who are after that sort of sound. I'd certainly be looking for something with 10's or 12's rather than a 15 to bring those Rick mids out nicely. That's probably more important than the actual brand. Go and try some stuff out and see what sounds good to you.

19. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Definitely the Markbass CMD 102P - I've had mine a year & love it!!

20. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Though technically not a combo, I wouldn't overlook the new Genz-Benz Shuttle gear; sounds great, and way more versatile than a traditional combo configuration.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021