1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by quindecima, Feb 8, 2019.

1. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    I have a laptop with win10 on it for music but would like to get something better, how does the Mac compare?

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    mark beem and Pendulous like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It depends on the CPU and RAM that are included within. When it comes to recording, more of both is the best. What are the specs on your current laptop?

FWIW, Apple has been using Intel CPUs for many years, which is what you'll typically get in a Windows 10 machine. However Apple will be putting their proprietary chips back in their computers starting in 2020.

packhowitzer likes this.
  4. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    Unless you want to run Logic you don't need a mac. If you buy a mac you're going to be getting a less capable computer for a lot more money because apple is a lifestyle brand, not a computer company. This i coming from a mac/logic user.

If you are happy using anything other than Logic the best/cheapest option is to build your own PC. You can get the best possible PC for your budget and your needs that way.

getbent, jebmd, Scoops and 18 others like this.
  5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Mac was the standard for audio when Pro Tools was not available for / not stable on PC. Nowadays Mac is more expensive, and no better or worse for audio production tasks. As long as it is "modern", the computer itself kinda doesn't matter.

getbent, DrayMiles, wraub and 7 others like this.
  6. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    As long as you have at least 16GB of Ram and at least 4 cores @≈2.4Ghz or greater you'll be able to do anything you could think of audio wise. You'll also be much happier if you have an SSD.

JulienP., Sonicfrog, Dabndug and 3 others like this.
  7. quindecima

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    O.K. My Laptop is an older one with 8megs of ram and no SSD. I dislike Win10 but it looks like I will be going that route. WTH is Logic?

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Logic is a DAW that is platform specific to Mac.

I use it. Nice software.

Pendulous and Bodeanly like this.
  9. quindecima

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    I'm looking at Studio one 3 and Bitwig, probably going to get Win 10 (gag) also MacPro only has a 15in screen but I can get a 17 if I use MS

10. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I use a 24” screen with my Mac mini

11. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I like Ableton Live myself. It goes both ways.

12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    Mac is the standard ... but i'm an old PC guy ... i'm going to install or use a outboard Solid State drive for my music work ... you'll wear out any standard HDD ..!

13. Mac is the standard, but let's remember Steve Jobs tried to cure cancer with magic.

Dabndug and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    In the same position I may try anything, too.

He died right at the time he firmly had the world at his command.

SirMjac28 and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Are you planning on using it in live performances - or - are you thinking more in terms of studio type recording and mastering?

16. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    If it hasn't been said before, Reaper is great all around recording DAW software: the installer isn't some huge porker, has lots of plug-ins included (note: they are not pretty, only built for functionality), and Reaper will usually run on any hardware (CPU, audio interface, etc). Also, if you do some research, you can find lots of free and cheap plug-ins that will get you 99% of the pricey ones, but it all comes down to what sounds good to your ears. I do this for a living.

getbent, rufus.K, Sonicfrog and 7 others like this.
  17. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    If your laptop has a decent Intel CPU (Core i5 or i7), upgrade it with a SSD drive and max out the RAM and you'll likely be fine. Mac's are popular but they are expensive, and yes you'll need more CPU and RAM since they run a lot of extra "fluff". In all cases, hard drive speed (I/O) has been the limiting factor in overall system performance for several years now so go SSD. If you buy a desktop/tower system you can get an SSD for the main system and an additional regular (but at least 7200RPM) disk drive for storing your projects.

MonetBass, ibenmodulus and Sonicfrog like this.
  18. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Mac laptops cost a lot more than comparable Windows laptops and tend to have more components soldered-in so they're less upgradable. Apple keeps reducing the number of USB ports too and I'm not sure if the new ones have CD/DVD drives any more. On the plus side, Macs are generally less noisy and have a long battery life. As far as audio software, unless you're using Logic, I think most programs will run on either OS.

19. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve been running logic on my 2010 27” iMac since, well, 2010. I did update it with an SSD and it has been stellar.

Artman and alaskaleftybass like this.
  20. DanAdams

DanAdams

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I agree that macs are more expensive upfront.
    I'm using a 2010 i7 MacBook Pro, and I have zero needs or plans to upgrade. so I think that should go into consideration when considering costs. I also upgraded ram, installed an SSD.
    I haven't seen a PC laptop that functions well after five years or so... With that said I don't think new macs are built as well. So save a ton of cash, and go for a 2012 MacBook Pro, the last ones that were truly upgradable.
    Fortunately music software really doesn't require much power.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019