1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Ernie Ball strings for my style?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassguitr123, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Bassguitr123

Bassguitr123

Mar 20, 2013
    Tampa
    Hey guys, I've decided to change strings for the first time in a few years, but I don't know what to buy. I've been playing for about 3-1/2 years now. I previously used Ernie ball reg. slinky, and loved the sound. Only problem is they're a little too bouncy for me. I play faster bass riffs, (funk/hard rock mix) mostly finger picked or with a pick.
    My band's songs are up tempo, and the bounce of the strings tend to slow my coordination and ruin my timing. I'm looking for suggestions, I need strings that will allow me to play with great agility and speed, but also sound great for slap bass. All in the price range if $35 or under. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Try Hybrid slinkys that 's a very popular gauge that it's too different from what you've got on now.

But also practice your stuff and adjust your technique so that you are able to play the pieces at tempo. if you can't play the parts at the correct tempo work on them slower until you can and simplify the parts that you do play with the band so that you are able to play and comfortably feel the rhythms. You can do it. the parts are playable if you use and develop correct technique.

3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    try cobalts. i find them to be very focused and articulate. they're also pretty high tension strings so they don't "bounce" as you call it. i think you'll like them.