Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Head/Cab/Combo for Hard Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McBassist, Sep 8, 2005.

1. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    Hard Rock Bassists (you know who you are) -

What, in your EXPERIENCED OPINION, is the best sounding head for a good old hard rock n' roll sound?

As far as cabs, which speaker configurations work best for hard rock (1x15, 2x10, etc...) and which brands would you swear by?

And for you hard rock guys with combos, which rigs have worked best for you?

Looking forward to your replies.

McB

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anything Eden, mated to their XLT line. cuts like a hot knife thru a warm souffle.

10" speakers will always be punchier, and more cutting than any other speaker config out there. need mucho volume, then go w/ a simple 4x10 + 1x15 setup.

for something not as aggressive, yet no less punchie, i'd go Aguilar. a bit warmer, and the DB750 head is the shizz these days.

got dough? go w/ a pair of Epifani UL410's. IMHO, one of the loudest, if not LOUDEST cabs i've ever experienced. KJung intrigued me, when he said that the UL410 is waaaaaaaay louder than my UL310. so, on my next visit to the Epifani shop, i finally got to crank thru one, and HOLY CRAP, the water in my eyes were practically blown dry. like a sustained sonic boom. nevermind, each cab is the lightest 4x10 you'll ever find, use, own, see, hold, etc.

www.eden-electronics.com
    www.aguilaramp.com
    www.epifani.com

3. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Well what bass(es) will you be playing?

I'll comment more once I know that.

4. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Ampeg SVT Classic and 810E cabinet.

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Ampeg head, Avatar cabs. Either 10's, 15's or a mix of the two. If you play with half stack guitar players and a drummer, you might need a full stack.

6. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005

Music Man Sterling

7. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I think an Orange head with an 810 cab would sound awesome for that.

It's so hard to suggest things though. We all have our own opinions about what we want, what we like. That's why I asked about your gear. I think you try and match things up the best you can until you find what you want. The Ampeg/Ampeg and SWR/SWR options are pretty standard in hard rock. I just love the way the Orange sounds pushed.

8. Definately Ampeg. Swr standard in hard rock? Hmmzz...

hover likes this.
  9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    An EBS Fafner through an EBS 412. That is loud and can get really aggresive.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I use a MM Sterling through a Trace Elliot V8 into a Schroeder 410. Really good for rock (check link in sig for the bands sound).

Of course, a V8 may be hard to find, but a Schroeder definently cuts it for rockin' out. Other amps that would suit IMO/E would be Eden, GK, Aguilar, Orange and if your willing to go used; Trace Elliot, Peavey (some), Sunn etc.

What sort of sound are you after? Dirty, distorted? Clean? How much power? Weight and size an issue? Money an issue? Do you mind tube amps? etc etc

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Ampeg SVT & Ampeg 8x10 Cab
    Mesa Boogie 400+ & Mesa Boogie 2x15 Cab

or....

Tech21 Landmark 600 Head with either of the above cabs :bassist:

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    SVT, no question about it.

13. i say GK

14. GK1001RB-II and Ampeg 810E = awesome.

15. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    As you can see a whole range of opinions here.

He's specified that he wants 1x15 and 2x10 - what's with all the SVT810 suggestions, it's probably a transport issue!! ;)

A helpful bit of information is if you can fill in your profile - just the location is enough. Sounds daft but if you are not in the US then the options will change dramatically from the usual fayre. :2c:

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There are so many things that will work! My choice would be an Ampeg head (either an SVT4 or SVP-Pro with a power amp) and Eden XLT cabs featuring at least one 15" speaker.

My old rig was Ampeg SVP-Pro -> Eden WT1000 -> Eden D210XLT + D115XLT and that thing had an absolutely HUGE rock sound. You can dial it in to be as sweet or as ganky in the highs as you like, depending on your taste.

SVTs are cool too, so are the GK or even SWR heads with Ampeg 810Es or Mesa Boogie 2x15s.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree with the Ampeg Amp/Eden Cab recommendations. I had this for a little while, and they sound absolutely SICK together. Basically what killed it was GAS sending me in another direction, but I wouldn't mind 610XLT these days...

18. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So many opinions...I like my GK for sure though and all my band plays is hard rock really.

19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SVT II (non pro) or Mesa Bass 400/400+ with some Hella Speakers. Powerhouse 1000 maybe... SWR Mega Goliath. Well, HellaSpeakers do make it a lot of fun.

I have more cabinets than I probably should and use a different configuration depending on the venue. If its a super huge/long room with a high ceiling, Ill use 2 1x15's. For venues with better accoustics, I like to use a 1x15 with a 2x10.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Amen brutha. I played in a hard rock cover band for a couple years, and my rig consisted of a 410XLT, a 215XLT, and I switched between a WT800 and a power amp with a Navigator. I eventually switched to a different preamp just to experiment.

During the time I had the WT800 running the two XLT's, it was awesome! L-O-U-D, cut through the mix like anything, and just sounded sweet all around. If I were to go back to that band, I would re-assemble that rig in a heartbeat.

-Mike