Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best In-line Chorus (non-pedal) Available?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Churchbassist, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Churchbassist

Churchbassist

Nov 3, 2001
    Iowa
    I'm looking for the best chorus available that will loop between my Mesa 600 Amp. Price doesn't matter. I personally don't like pedals (I hate setting all of that stuff up - would rather set my amp down, plug in and play). Is there anything comparable to the old ART effects?

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I use a (discontinued) Boss VF-1 in the 1st loop of my Thunderfunk 420. It's a multi-effect, but it's got lots of great chorusing, flanging, etc. settings too. Do a search on "VF-1" and you'll find lots of posts. FYI, Michael Manring uses one for the bulk of his effects. You could also try an Alesis Midiverb. To my ears it isn't as "sterile" sounding as a lot of the modern units (it's 18-bit technology IIRC).

There are other dedicated units out there, but they are all discontinued AFAIK. The old Boss Super Chorus comes to mind, so does the T.C. Spatial Expander.

Hope this helped!

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    How about the G-Major? Didn't we just have thread on that? If you can deal with its simplicity, I still use my original Yamaha SPX-90 when I need effects. One of those should be pretty affordable by now.

4. Churchbassist

Churchbassist

Nov 3, 2001
    Iowa
    That is correct. Price doen't matter as long as it sounds great. Also, forgot to mention, the effect should be one designed for bass guitar (don't want the effect to affect the low-end notes). I currently have an Alesis Midiverb and may go back to that - but it was designed for keyboard & studio use, I think).

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Allen

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It has TWENTY-TWO plugs on the back!

Joe

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    AFAIK, the only rack-mountable dedicated bass processor available new is the Rocktron Blue Thunder. You could look for an old Peavey Bassfex, or an ART Nightbass, but other than that you're out of luck. The VF-1 I mentioned before has bass specific presets, and they are pretty easy to find. Eventide is a klller choice too. You really don't need a bass specific processor, as long as the unit's bandwidth is sufficient (usually 20-20k). The bypassed sound of a particular unit is another matter, though....

If you just want chorus, I'd stick with the Midiverb. It's inexpensive and it works well.

7. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The Lexicon MPX1 has beautiful chorus, reverbs, Phasor, etc...

8. TC Electronic 1210 - Now discontinued - Does great chorus & flange.

Boss CE-20 - Yeah, it's a pedal, but it works. Has a bass specific setting, but also has tone controls that'll boost the top and bottom end.....so if you ever wished you could run a CE-1 or CE-2 without loosing your bottom, now's your chance. I use one of these.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    G-Major has TC's excellent chorus, even comes pre-loaded with a bass chorus patch. As someone else said, it's really simple to use. It's a full range unit, so you could use it for anything. If price really does not matter though, might as well spring for the that eventide!