1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best live effect pedal

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tunewriter, Jun 4, 2014.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

Jul 26, 2012
    Since my technique is still not the best I'm thinking of picking up a pedal that would help me create clavinova type effects. Think Superstition by Stievie Wonder. Any ideas? Thanks gang.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Just work on your technique.

4> 5, SanDiegoHarry and Munjibunga like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Envelope filter or auto-wah is what you want, but it's not going to fix your technique, and you should never buy effects to fix technique.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The instrument you are thinking of is the Hohner "Clavinet", not "Clavinova", which is the Yamaha electric piano for home use.

And no... that's really not the bass part you want. I've been in band where the guitar picks up that bit, but the bass in that song is really pretty simple (big quarter note notes during the clav bit). Someone here posted a great video of just how Stevie created that clav part - 13 tracks? 16 tracks? It was insane.

5. can an effect actually hide improper technique???? i haven't found that magical device yet....if you do, let me know....

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    eX84too.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I've played in some trios where I take the clavinet part (w/ EHX bass miscrosynth). Fun, but better with a proper horn band.

BTW, I think this is the video SanDiegoHarry mentions: