best micro head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Runlikegregg, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011

I'm looking for some opinions here.
    I currently play with an Eden WT-600 head. And I like it a lot.
    But, I certainly don't like how much it weighs.

SO...can anyone recommend the best small, lightweight head?

Anyone have any first hand experience that would shed some light?

I'm guessing that I wouldn't need that much power...probably 200 watts max or so? This would be for mostly local gigs where I need a head, the cab would be provided by the club and I could probably be miced up if needs be.
    I would hang onto my Eden head for bigger shows where I really need the power.

2. cnltb

May 28, 2005
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lots more info needed to make any kind of recommendation. Otherwise you're just going to get a bunch of people recommending their favorite. I'll go first :)

GK MB200/MB500/MB800 depending on budget and needs.
  4. Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    A little on the heavy side for a micro amp, innit? I think he's wanting something you can slip into a gig bag pocket. Well, at least that's what I'm looking for in one.

I liked where Ashdown was going with their Mibass head, but then they came out with the 2nd version of it and the trademark ashdown VU meter was gone. That's abit of a bummer. Maybe they will put it back on the 3rd version. I'm in no hurry. Things are getting smaller all the time.
  5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    There are many great micro heads out there. That said, I purchased an aguilar TH350 last year intending to keep it in my roadcase as an "emergency back-up amp". I used it on a theater show one night, just to try it out with an 8x10, and I was amazed! It's now one of my go-to stage amps and I feel comfortable using just it (and an appropriate cab) on ANY stage! Reliable, warm tone & much louder than the 350 watt rating suggests! It actually uses the same power section as a few competing 500watt amps from some competitors.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    +1. The first ones that come to my mind are the MB series from GK. Awesome little heads. If I were to grab one, I would get the 800. Just starting shipping the beginning of this month. They look friggen sweet. And I have played the 200 and it sounded awesome. Nothing but good things to say about the GK MB series here.
  7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Tecamp Puma 500 or 900

I used to endorse EA
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm having great times with the Ampeg PF350. Best, however, is rather subjective, innit? I get my sound easily and quickly with a PF350 so it's the best for me, but someone who likes another amp might argue with me. The trick is to find the best amp for YOU, not us ;)
  9. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Epifani Piccolo 600 (just cause nobody else will mention this one)
  10. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    I was a big Eden amp guy. But I hated transporting them. So I gave away my Eden Navigator and kept the WT800, but I also bought the Epifani UL501 and Epifani Piccolo. Different sound but the weight is great for me.
  11. Any of the usual suspects if going to provide a high quality amp that will work for almost any gig. As far optimizing- that's something you'll have to do on your own. We all have our favorites, but we don't all agree on "the best".

Usual suspects: GK, Genz Benz, Markbass, Aguilar, Ampeg, Eden (I like my WTX-260 a lot). Some other imports are great too: Tecamp, EBS/Fafner, Trace Elliot.
  12. SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Epifani UL 501 :smug: IF not micro......certainly light & petite :)
  13. MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    If you like the Eden products, why not try the Eden WTX500. It's less than 5 lbs. No first hand info on it, but I've heard go things about it.
  14. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

I just ordered a GK MB Fusion 800. Should be here early next week. I had been playing an Eden WT800 for years & years - really great sounding amp - until it fried on a gig a few months ago. So I pulled out my GK 500 that I always carried as a back-up. Haven't looked back since.
    I purchased the GK Fusion 800 because of the tube pre-amp and more wattage. But the GK MB500 is an excellent amp. I like it better than my Genz-Benz Shuttle 6 (IMHO)
    Actually considering putting the GB shuttle 6 up for sale....
    But anyway, check out the GK micro's.
  15. Define "micro"...

I like the Genz Benz Shuttles quite a bit. A lot of tones available there.

GK MB is just OK to me. It took a while to get something close to a vintage tone & even then wasn't really that vintage.

The Ampeg Micro VR has QC problems, but if you get a good one and don't need a ton of power I think the tone is great. I sold mine because I needed more power.

I bought an Orange Terror Bass a while back. It's way louder than the Ampeg, but it's quite a lot boomier and it took me a while to dial in a good tone but it sounds good as well... Just not quite as good (to me) as the Ampeg.
  16. Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    GB shuttle..awesome.
    mainly cuz i own one..or I own one cuz theyre awesome..?..

17. You should also advise the amount of money you want to spend. May help getting recommendations closer to what you want.
    Aren't Aguilars made in NY? If the price is right, you can support some of the locals!
  18. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Seems like a bizarre exercise: GK is pretty much the opposite of vintage. That said, I get a surprisingly old school rock sound running an MB 200 (with all of the EQ knobs rolled back) into an Ampeg210AV cab.
  19. Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    yeah, these are great suggestions. A few I really haven't heard of.

I guess I'm defining micro as a small lightweight amp that's easy to transport: as in walking and taking the subway to a gig. My eden head weighs...i don't know...30 lbs? that's just too damn much to carry along with my bass and cords and whatnot.

and of course, I need to try them and find what I like best. But what's the point of this forum if you can't ask fro some opinions!

Thanks everybody!
  20. Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    yeah, i am definitely gonna find somewhere I can try out that Eden Wtx500. I'm a bit wary of Eden since it's 2nd sell off, now to a chinese company. but having said that, it's getting pretty good reviews.