1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best midrange fretless to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lase, Apr 20, 2009.

1. lase

lase

May 5, 2008
  2. Although it isn't "midrange" it isd a good buy.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Its a great buy. I have one and I love it. For the price its a great deal.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed, it's an entry-level price point but the bass has a good reputation for the money. However the "best mid price range fretless to buy" IMO is without a doubt one of the excellent deals to be had in the TB classifieds.

5. It's a great bass for the money. Make sure you save a little time and money (you'll need both) for tweakage. These basses don't play perfectly out of the box. The tuners are one step above "they completely suck".

FWIW I'm using GHS pressurewound strings and they're great. I've been using them on my fretless basses for years.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    This isn't really a thread about: "Which is the best midrange fretless?". It's about: "Should I get this Squier Jazz Bass?". But I digress...

Agreed. A midrange price point would be closer to something in the $800 - $1,500 range, give or take a hundred bucks or two.

If you were shopping for something in that range, I would say Carvin - all the way. Their precision manufacturing process results in very close tolerances, thus allowing for very precise set-ups: Ideal for fretless... :cool:

MM

7. Electric = Peavey Foundation FL.. you can find one for under $250

AGB=Michael Kelly Dragonfly

Cheap = Yamaha
    OR

Defret one and forget about resale.

8. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    Find a used Pedulla buzz, In my opinion has the best fingerboard for producing the "wah" sound OR a fretless Musicman stingray but you will have to look at $800-1200 used. You may find one cheaper if someone is really desperate for cash.

9. Squier is about as entry level as they come. But that is a great bass for the money.

I would consider Warmoth to be the best mid level basses out there.
    I have two Warmoth fretless Jazz basses, and i love them.:D

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's not midrange, but if you want an entry range fretless, I have an Ibanez SR300F. $200 plus expenses.

11. caillean

caillean

Mar 2, 2008
    east anglia
    I kinda like my Washburn xb120 - but, I came in from Double Bass - so, that probably influenced my tone hunt!

Good luck!