1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best of James Jamerson?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Progfan44, Aug 11, 2015.

1. I've been really digging into some of James Jaerson's playing lately, and want to put some of his classic motown material on my ipod. However, seeing as the releases with him featured were released by multiple artists, I am having a hard time finding a single tome with all of Jamerson's most memorable songs on it that isn't just a "best of motown". Is there some kind of collection with his best material on it, or will I just have to settle for the "best of motown" collections?

Thanks for any and all help

One Drop likes this.
  2. Unfortunately, nobody has put together an album of what they would consider to be Jamerson's best efforts, and even such a project would be subject to debate based on what was considered his best work. As a key member of a legendary ensemble, The Funk Brothers, I imagine guitar enthusiasts could wish the same thing for classic Eddie Willis, Joe Messina, or Robert White parts, etc...although Motown did give Earl VanDyke the opportunity to release some albums where he played B-3 leads over stock Motown tracks...

3. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Putting together a collection of James Jamerson bass hits is a great idea!
    What I've done is to search songs by him that I like and work on those. Diana Ross and the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5 (although I haven't gotten around to working on any of The Jackson 5 tunes yet), and there's a ton of other tunes.

honeydorick, Mr_O'B and brocco like this.
  4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Oh, btw... If you do a best of Motown make sure you research the bass player because James Jamerson did not play on every Motown tune.
    Hope this helps

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    If you find a "table of contents" for SITSOM that would be a good place to start.

6. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I wish I could tolerate more than 3 milliseconds of Motown music at a time because I'd love to listen to JJ play.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    …then how about something non-Motown?

"Outrageous (The Mind Excursion)"- Dennis Coffey
    ...back in the day, this woulda been called a psychedelic jam. Hopefully, you'll get past the 1st minute or so.

8. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
  9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Psychedelic funk

JimK likes this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...of which Motown got into with Norman Whitfield producing (some of The Temptations albums, Undisputed Truth, etc).
    So for you non-lovers of Motown, there may be more out there than you would think.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Since I try to adhere to the 11th Commandment (Thou Shalt Not Diss Motown)-
    Last night, I pulled out The Motown Sound: The Complete Albums & More by Earl Van Dyke.
    Jamerson is all over this (including 3 of his own tunes).

OP-
    Add "Fever In The Funkhouse" to your list.

Amazon also has a Funk Brothers album...for $4.99. It's too short, IMO.

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

Exactly. Just collect the songs listed in the book, and you are good to go

13. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    Hey OP
    If you got Spotify, someone has made a playlist of songs Jamerson has played on. Some controversial; Sign Sealed Delivered etc.

Just type in James Jamerson in the search and you should find. Really good playlist. Lots of gems in it

honeydorick likes this.
  14. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    JJ's style of busy, syncopated bass was in full bloom by the end of the 1960s, into the early 1970s. If you want to go deeper than the SITSOM song list, just sample any Motown artists' albums from that time ('69, '70, etc) and you'll be knocked out by the bass lines, even on album filler tracks.

15. vdbass

vdbass

Oct 22, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    "You Keep Me Hanging On" Diana Ross & Supremes
    "We Can Work it Out" & "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" Stevie Wonder

16. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Wow! these are some of songs I 1st learned to play aiong with,but not all note for note.MAN these bring memories.AS of just last week I was 90% thru the basslines for " I heard It through the grapevine''. The other 10% might eat my lunch. JJ Is doing a couple things in this song I'LL have to woodshed.

17. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I know right! Isn't it fun? The more you play the better you get!

18. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    gjohnson It's your fault that I got more homework to do.I almost forgot about where I came from.I got lazy,reiaxed,and comfortable playing the modern stuff that's easy to play(vocal group wise).THANKS for your thread and yes=much more fun
    1OO% Agree It's fun with a challenge,how rare.Thanks for thread!

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021