best OVERALL J PUPs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassguita079, Oct 26, 2011.

1. hey everybody!!
    ive got a question for all you hardcore gear heads out there!
    as i have been playing precision basses for most of my career as a bass guitar player, 11 of 13 years, i recently acquired a jazz bass from my friend. as i have taken a liking to this, i think its time to upgrade PUPs. i have looked at all kinds of PUPs from the new aguilar 70's model pickups to the seymour duncan basslines and even the antiquity lines. i play modern and classic country, as well as modern and classic hard rock. what would be the most versatile PUP for the situation?
    thanks all!!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    SGD Neo Jazzbuckers.

Wire each one for series/single/parallel and you'll have a bazillion and a half different pickup combinations to choose from.

Neo Jazzbucker

3. There is no such thing!
    It is all subjective. One man's "best pickup ever!" is another man's trash.

4. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman

Dec 5, 2010
    I definitely recommend Bartolini J pups. Some of the best that ive ever heard

5. i was looking at the bartolini pups as well. theyre quite inexpensive as well, i think 130-150 for the pair from bestbassgear and musiciansfriend

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well do you want the most versatile, the best sounding, or the cheapest? You're kind of all over the place here :)

Barts are 2 conductor, so there goes your versatility. They are good sounding pickups if you only want that one sound though. But that being said, I sold my Barts for SGD's!

7. that's what my fiance says all the time :p haha
    those neo jazzbuckers sound great. and i see what you're saying about wiring them up 3 different ways....i may just suck it up and get those...

8. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    Thoughts on Fender CS Jazz Bass P-ups ? for best vintage sounds that is.

9. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    exactly like they were saying earlier about one mans treasure being another's trash, I really couldn't stand the bartolini's, swapped them out for a set of fralins which I love, and swapped another set out for antiquity II's which I like quite a bit too, the antiquity's are a little more what you would expect from a classic j sound, but the fralins have a little more for low end balls and high end clarity, so they are on my fretless. I still really want to try the 60's aguilars on the fretted one, every clip I've heard of them sounded like exactly what I want.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Rio Grande offers two J pups, the Vintage and Muy Grande's. Both are very nice, the vintage has that classic jazz sound. The Muys are kinda like Duncan Quarter pounds that actually sound good. Those and the Barts are my favorite J pups, though both totally different than the other.

11. Nordstrands are pretty good too, but as others have said, there is no "best" pup.

12. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    There might be a "best" for a given style. Best vintage, best ....well, you know.

13. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm throwing my vote for YOUR style of music to the DIMARZIO AREA J.

It's got vintage warmth and roundness, but higher output and is noiseless. The price is reasonable and there are multiple wiring options.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
  15. thanks for all the excellent advice!!
    i will definitely check out all of the previously mentioned pickups.
    i was actually eyeing the area J pickups just a minute ago...

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I like these too. I also have a set of noiseless Fralins, which cost twice as much, and they sound almost the same. Both are very close to single coil tone. IMO, noiseless pickups provide more versatility, because you can use the full range of J-bass tones without worrying about the hum.

17. Why do you want to "upgrade" the pickups? Only do it if you're not happy with the sound. It seems that you want a really diverse range of tones, some contradictory, so perhaps you should use your P bass for the rock stuff and the Jazz for modern/country? Any sound you want is out there, but only you will know it when you hear it. I love my NYC Sadowsky, but I'm sure many would prefer something else and that's fine, there is no right and wrong.

18. well i only have the 5 string jazz as of right now. i have researched the area j pickups and i think im gonna roll with that one in the neck position for rock tones, and maybe a seymour duncan classic stack in the bridge for the country side of the spectrum. just an idea though...

19. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Consider Wilde J-45 among the other pups mentioned.

20. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    +1
    i recently put a set of these in my jazz bass with an orange drop tone cap, and i have used mine for country, rock, and everything in between. It has worked great for all of these situations and the orange drop tone cap gives it even more flexibility with a very useful tone control...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021