1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Passive PJ4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adivin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Who makes the best passive PJ four string? I would require a J neck. Ok, there is no best anything, but let's hear some opinions. I tried a G&L SB2 but didn't love it. I am expecting to hear Lull, Nordy, Sadowsky...

2. ESP Vintage 4. Or ESP/LTD Vintage 204 with '62 p/Seymour Duncan Vintage J,Wilkinson Bridge,electro socket jack upgrades, like mine.Neck is actually Fender B neck size, 1.62".I'm died in the wool Fender guy and I love this bass.

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Passive only? And does it have to be a 1.5" nut? If not, the AmDlxP is a very nice bass - on par with the boutiques imho.

4. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    1.5 at the nut is a must, I would prefer passive, but active would not be a deal breaker depending...

PJ is a set up that I'm the least familiar with but am recently intrigued by. From my limited experience, I really wouldn't expect it to be two basses in one. You can pull off an authentic P tone, but I wouldn't expect you could get a good J tone. Probably more of a P bass with the ability to add some bite from the bridge J pickup. Is the attraction of a PJ the versatility or is a unique tone distinct to itself that people dig?

5. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    I went with the Fender aerodyne jazz..... dont sound like a P or a J just has its own tone and its like its built to have the crap mod'd out of it.....which i did lol... but all in all for the price and the quality of build thats my pick for a PJ with J neck even thought about buyin another to mod further.

6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  7. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    That's sweet! I wonder what it weighs in at? Custom Shop gets mixed reviews here on TB. Lull deserves serious consideration but I don't know if they do a J neck on a PJ?

8. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I was gonna say this. Nicely done, sir. +1

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Mixed reviews? Is there really a CS bashing thread?

I guess anything is possible on TB but the few CS basses I have played were the sickness.

10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yamaha BB2024X.

11. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    I've seen Lull PJ's advertised with jazz necks in the past. I'm pretty sure they'll do what ever you want.

12. JEDBass

JEDBass Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    I have a Lull PJ4 with a jazz neck. While neither pickup solo'ed sounds exactly like a traditional P or J, it's pretty close IMO, and more importantly just sounds great in its own right. The P pickup solo'ed in particular has a nice cutting mid presence when you get more aggresive, but still retains nice lows. For the record, mine has Fralins in it, and I have no desire to switch them out.

13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Lull 4-string is 1.5" stock. A PJ imho is not the same as a P bass and a J bass. You can get a very good P tone (in a mix, equivalent to a true P-bass, though some will argue about small differences). You can get a solo'd bridge J tone as well. But you do NOT get a JJ tone. The PJ 50/50 is different than the JJ 50/50. I prefer the PJ to JJ as I think it has more low mid presence, but if you're looking for a classic JJ tone you won't really find it in a PJ.

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    This is my experience, too. The p/j has more lo-mids than the j/j.

15. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    I don't think that's true. The 4-string Lull precisions are 1.75". I know that bgotoh has a nice collection of Lull P-basses, at least one of which has a 1.5" nut. So they're out there, and you can obviously get it if you order a new bass.

I play a PJ5 that I bought from nostatic a while back that is a killer P bass. I've had an SB-1, the SB-2's I've played had a lot of body, but no sizzle from the bridge pup and IMO the G&L's are no match for the Lull in weight/comfort/finish. I also had an '08 Am Std P5, which sounded great, but I didn't like how fat the neck was. I much prefer the Lull neck. One of these days, I'd really like to have some 4-string counterparts to my PJ5 and M5V.

16. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    So I can relate the relative comparison, if a PJ has more low mids, how would you characterize the JJ tone? More lows?

17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Just my opinion but I'd say more highs and lows. And lacking in the midrange (esp low mid) punch that p-basses are famous for.

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes, more lows with the JJ. High mids and highs come from the bridge Pup. I find that my jazz basses can get muddier than the Ps because of this and I need to watch the EQ.

BTW - I'd say that the reason that P/Js cannot sound like a P is that the J pup and pot are always loading the P Pup - changing the frequency response a bit. Perhaps with a 3-way switch it could be a true P.

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    a MIM Reggie Hamilton in the passive mode is THE best bang per buck, IMHO!!!

it has EVERYTHING you want, except a passive tone control, which is an easy mod. gl.

20. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    The SB2 that I tried had such a hot P pickup, it was almost too aggressive, harsh in a way.