1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best place for a pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stringplayer, Feb 27, 2008.

1. hi,

i'm going to build myself a bass.

but now my question is what is the place to put the neck and bridge pickup.

greatings,
    cedric

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    before everybody jumps on you for this, can you describe what kind of sound you are going for? what kind of pickups you like? active? passive?

3. i'm going te buy sd soapbars with aguilar opb3

is it true that the best place is under a harmonic?

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I think a bar is the most common place.

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    *rimshot*

what do you mean under a harmonic by the way? there is pretty much a harmonic anywhere you want there to be one....

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Yes. IMO there's no "best place" ultimately it's all a matter of opinion and taste. "Under a harmonic" makes little sense, since the harmonics will move as you fret the string in different places.

7. http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/

You may find this interesting, if a little mathematical. I think your best bet is to copy a pickup locations (as expressed as a ratio of total neck length to the pickup's distance from the bridge) you have liked on other basses. The other option is to find a way to slide your pickup back and forth until you find a spot that sounds good as you move around the neck. If you tape it to some wood blocks you should be able to keep it pretty steady, but you may need a friend to hold it there while you play (and vice versa).

8. Copying other basses pickup positions seems to be the best and ultimate idea :) u simply can't go wrong with that one

9. ecufunk

ecufunk

Nov 19, 2007
    i love the position on the marcus miller jazz bass 5 strings the neck pickups is placed a litlle bit more to the bridge love that position but the wood is not so good i think maeby i that position two delano soapbars or a nordstrand 5.2 musicman shape on the bridge and a nordstrand bigsplit on the neck great combination don´t you think???

10. Did u ever heard about comma, full stop?
    Gosh

11. I use some clamps and some aluminum brackets I bent up to figure out pickup placment.

place11-30-0716.

12. I did something similar to Searcy, letting me move the pickup anywhere I wanted. I spent a morning using it, deciding on spots for two pickups. I'm honestly not sure I got any better or more "personalized" results than I would have just measuring an existing instrument. It was interesting though, and I got a little better sense of how much you need to move the pickup to hear a distinct change in sound. I haven't put that much effort into deciding pickup location on instruments I've built since, and the outcomes have been as good.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I am a fan of pickups in this location ...

Picture%20155.

b-strat%20016.

bass-pics%20039.

basses%20013.

red-ric020.

Rimg1083.

:bassist:

14. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Very subjective and it varies on many factors. And there is no right or wrong answer. I wanted a sound that could cut with tons of highs and could also feedback; so I installed a second J right up to the bridge. It worked but I only use that bass for a certain songs. This works for me. My normal preference of most playing is a standard J setup.
    On the opposite end, Sheehan puts a Model One up against the neck. I have tried that setup and it totally does not work for me.
    What works for one player doesn't work for everyone. Experient and try as many basses as possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. If any of you guys with extreme neck/bridge positions have sound clips, I'd like to hear them.

16. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Soon. I plan to get a digital recorder in March if the ol' tax refund arrives!

17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I really like the pups location on the Warwick Stremaer II. Seems really interesting for a fretless. And the Mayones Be Exotic also.

[​IMG]

18. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    Well, by the bridge for a tighter crunchier tone. By the neck is more warm, mellow tone. I personally think it should be in an area of a MusicMan Stingray.

19. Cool. :cool:

20. Good point :)