1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best single cab solution for small clubs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shughey, Nov 6, 2018.

1. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    Last month I, somewhat foolishly, sold off my Italian-made Jeff Berlin 15" combo. For the last 5-6 years, I was using this rig to play anything from small outdoor events (decks/small festivals), to small clubs/bars. Now, I'm trying to find a lightweight single-cab solution (under 50 pounds or so) to run with my TH500. I tried one of the Ashdown Mag 210s in store and I didn't like it all. It sounded pretty muddy/indistinct to my ears given it's a 210. It sounded even muddier w an Ampeg PF running through it. In addition, I tried one of the new Fender Bassman Neo 115s. I liked that cab more. Also, I haven't been a fan of any GK cabs I've tried in the best. I could get better clarity and decent low end, but I didn't sound better to me (tonally) than the Aggie DB112s I have kicking around my apartment. I would use the Aggie for those gigs, but I hate the form factor, it's too low of a profile for me to just run one, and it tends to get lost in a band more, where the Berlin had no issues.

At this point, I have my eyes on 210s, 15s, and maybe "super 12s" w a more vertical profile. I would like to avoid 212 enclosures. A lot of the stuff I want to try out has been discontinued or hard to find used, i.e., older Epifani stuff. I'm looking for good bottom end and clarity, and evenness in the mids. A little bump in the low mids is fine, just not interested in cabs that are scooped in the mids or aggressive in the upper mids. I'm exclusively playing 4 string passive Fender basses w flats and nickel rounds atm, so I'm not interested in any cab that specializes in extended super lows. Budget: would like to keep it below $750 new or used. Any cab suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Given your desire for something with more of a traditional tonal profile, it seems like the Barefaced Two10 might be a good candidate.

Personally, when I found myself in a similar situation I went with a 52lb Fearless F115, but depending on EQ I could see some saying that it's a little aggressive in the upper-mids.

3. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    Given Kro’s experience, I wonder if the Fearless F112 might do better. Ed Friedlander seems to like it.

DanGR, DangYankee, 10cc and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Wow! That's a lot of stuff you don't like. I don't understand why you don't just get what you do like. Since the Jeff Berlin Combo met your needs, either track down another one, or get the equivalent Markbass speaker. The New York 151 appears to be the matching cab for the Jeff Berlin Combo. Dial down the tweeter and it should sound pretty similar.

MARKBASS | Products | New York 151
    MARKBASS | Products | CMD 151P Jeff Berlin

5. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    Not really. I just listed two specific cab models, and one brand I don't get on with. I'm not going to seek out another Berlin or the cab (NY151) bc I simply want to try something new. I sold it bc while I overall think it's a great combo, the tone has wore on me over the years and I'm ready to try a new flavor.

6. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I'm looking into the Fearless stuff as well as Barefaced. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard to finding them used (they're well out of my price point new), or from someone willing to ship.

7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Mesa Subway SW115 is amazeballz.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Sounds like selling the JB combo wasn't so foolish after all then. FYI, I don't care for Markbass speakers personally, so I understand.

You have mentioned Ashdown, Ampeg, GK, Fender, Aguilar, and now Markbass. Those brands cover quite a wide tonal range. What I see missing is more full range, flat response type designs; so maybe consider cabs with dedicated mid drivers. This will give you broader dispersion and more articulate mids, which seems to be characteristics you may be interested in. The Genzler Bass Arrays come to mind.
    Bass Cabinets Archives - Genzler Amplification

I would probably try and see if elevating/tilting could make the DB112s work better for you, but they are a bit heavy, so maybe you should sell them as well.

revroy and slappa da beeus like this.
  9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    An F112 would likely be more than enough. I use my F115 for everything, including venues that I'd personally consider to be outside of the small designation.

But, for $750, it might be difficult to find even an F112 or any "super cab" really given their relative scarcity.

I wonder what the odds would be of finding a Mesa Subway 115 used within the OP's general vicinity.

shughey likes this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    They pop up on Guitar Center Used fairly regularly for around <$700. Shipping is often surprisingly cheap.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/

Aqualung60, shughey and Kro like this.
  11. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I said somewhat foolishly. Somewhat bc it was working for me, but I'm kind of over that sound now. We'd all rather have both things, right? If you read my OP, I said I'm using DB112s, and I like them, just not as a single-cab solution. I mentioned an Ampeg PF head into an Ashdown cab, not an Ampeg cab. I didn't mention not liking Markbass, I just said I had a Markbass combo that I sold, now I want to try something new. I DID say I don't get on w GK though, and two specific models by Fender and Ashdown.

As for elevating or putting a wedge underneath, yes, that does help to a degree. I'm already doing that my smaller cabs w/o casters.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  12. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    A Barefaced One10 is <$700 new. Not sure if that would be enough for your needs.

shughey likes this.
  13. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Barefaced.

Dp1363, G Aichele and shughey like this.
  14. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Smyrna, GA
    Mesa Subway 1x15. Not inexpensive but worth every penny.

15. Maybe try the Ampeg PB212H, provided you can find a used one somewhere. As Wasnex mentioned, they, too, occasionally pop up on the GC Used pages, but not often.

Edit: There are two listed there now.

shughey likes this.
  16. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Audiokinesis Hathor 1203T bingo!

17. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Not sure what your price point is, but the Aguilar sl410x is under 50 lbs and has a great form factor. I think it will match your Tonehammer perfectly, and will handle just about any gig you need it to. It's pricey for a 410, but it's a really nice 410. Otherwise I would recommend barefaced. They're just kinda hard to get your hands on here.

18. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    My usual single cab solution is a Subway 115. I bought it new at not too far above your $750 price point but Mesa has had a price increase since I bought. Maybe used is an option if you can find one, but they do seem to be pretty popular. The Subway 112 might get you there price-wise. I'm actually considering a 112 myself to supplement the 115 for larger gigs. Hope you find what you need, OP.

Aqualung60, lermgalieu and shughey like this.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino HDN210.

20. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia, Riga
    Try out something from Aguilar.

Roger M and blmartin2215 like this.