1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best sounding, reliable Ampeg Amp ( Non all tube).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleevey55, Dec 28, 2017.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Looking at Ampeg again after years away from them and Im wondering what is the best sounding, most reliable non all tube amp that they have made? Id like to be around 500watts or above. Any and all opinions would be appreciated as I dont know Ampeg that well. Thanks!!

2. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    image. With the amount of power you're looking at, you'll have to go with separates. I'll recommend what I use and that's a Portaflex PF-800 and either. 15" or 2-10" cabinet, or two mixed it matched.

IMHO, the Portaflex series is Ampeg's best bang for the buck, and gives you great control over the fantastic tone you get. I used the 800 and a 210 cab over Christmas and it was fantastic sounding, no matter the venue.

There may be some other options offered here, but the rig I mentioned has to be near the top of your audition list.

High Camp, 2saddleslab and sleevey55 like this.
  3. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    If I was going to buy a solid state/hybrid Ampeg, I'd probably go with the 7 Pro. Really good mix of features/power/weight/price. Very balanced and open tone that should work with anything. But basically all the non SVT SVTs right now are about the same but with variations in features and power. What are you actually looking for?

gsgbass likes this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I second the PF-800.

pf800front.

High Camp, 2saddleslab and iagtrplyr like this.
  5. If I'm not running my SVT Classic head , my PF500 gets the job done quite nicely. Every amp I have ever owned sounded best through an 8 10 e.

High Camp, iagtrplyr and mapleglo like this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Like many I've hired SVT's and 810's for touring but the only Ampeg I bought was an SVT3-PRO, which sounded so good through my Mesa Boogie EV cabs that I used it exclusively for nearly 10 years. There is a lot of Ampeg experience in the various threads on TB.

These days I'm only playing Aguilar amps.

Ben B likes this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    One more for the pf800. Been enjoying mine for a year now playing everything small venues to large outdoor festivals. Very happy with the studio results on a current recording project as well.
    B07F9061-0DDD-4B66-A6C8-79ED680EB937.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  8. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    It would help to know what you mean by best sounding, as sound is subjective. Do you want it to have elements of that tube sound, or SS?

The PF heads sound pretty damn good for their price point. There's elements of preamp tube warmth to them, and they sit very well in a mix. My biggest gripe with them, is that in direct comparisons, the PF's sound like they have an hpf on at all times. In defense of the PF though, it feels shelved at an appropriate point where the bass starts to get arguably muddy.

The 7pro has even more of that tube sound. The knobs are less sensitive, and produce a smoother gradient in tone as opposed to the PF's, which feel more sensetive in comparison. The hpf feel isn't apparent with the 7pro.

B-series heads (B, B2, B2re, etc...)feel very bass and low mid heavy to my ears, and have very little traces of tube warmth. They aren't as articulate or glassy as other heads of the time, but have a well defined low mid presence, and tight bass. They also come from a period when I felt Ampeg power ratings in relation to volume was at its weakest compared to other brands.

The 3pro, is the best sounding Ampeg hybrid compared to the svt cl tone to my ears. I do think it still suffers from that low volume era though. Unfortunately the examples I've come across are usually trashed by idiots tube swapping and self-biasing that had no business opening up the amp.

This was just a small list of what I'm familiar with and what's most common in my area. There's others like the 4pro, 6pro, 5pro, B500, etc.
    I'm sure others have varying and contradictory opinions of these amps but i did my best to provide some objective comments based on my experiences with them. Best of luck with your search!

lazycat93, sleevey55 and Pocket4 like this.
  9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I’ve had a lot of luck with the 4-Pro/B-4R platform. As long as you don’t put them in a rack case that blocks the vents, those amps can take a ton of abuse and sound good doing it.

10. The hell with all that.

USA made svt 4pro. More reliable than any of the new stuff. Tons of power and features. Weighs about 40lb, because nothing in life is free

Is go elsewhere for a cab myself

11. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Is it okay if it has a tube pre-amp? If so, the choices have already been listed: SVT3 or 4 Pro. PF-500 or PF-800. I don't think any of them will have a reliability problem if you buy new.

If you buy used, well, you don't know what the last guy did to it. But I guess that's true of all equipment.

12. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Of their hybrid amps, I like the 4-Pro & 6-Pro.
    For solid state, nothing beats the PF-800.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  13. blazebarlow

blazebarlow Guest

Dec 30, 2015
    I use the Ampeg SVT Pro 4..mine is ultra quiet..lots of power..plenty of tone at the knobs..master and gain knob..quality built and tough construction..a big variety of connection configurations on the back panel..and its an Ampeg..it can push anything from a small speaker to two 8 x 10 cabs..neutrik and 1/4 connectors..3 tubes in the preamp..not for sissies..

JimiLL, Lovep and mpdd like this.
  14. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

For a non tube Ampeg head, the SVT-7PRO.

15. I think you’re right about the HPF. My PF350 works great for upright bass. Same cabs and room with my PF-50T and I need to use an HPF.

blubass likes this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    The 6 PRO is a great answer to the 3's volume issue. Same preamp and plate voltage control with a monster power amp. I've been using I've for a few years and it has become my favorite hybrid. Bad boy is heavy though!

17. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Thanks guys, great info!!!!

18. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I'm surprised that Ampeg hasn't made a lightweight Class D head comparable the the Mesa D800 and Aggie AG700 and others. I love the Ampeg tone but they really don't have anything in the ultra portable and lightweight Class D heads other companies are making.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My all-time favorite Ampeg amp is the 4Pro. It’s big and heavy, but it’s a monster. If I were to go back to led sled amps again, the 4Pro would be at the top of my list.

20. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ampeg 4PRO