1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best sounds for bass recordings

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jeralya, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Hey all, my current setup is a PreSonus Firepod into Logic Express. I play a Fender P-Bass straight into a Hartke 3500.

I am trying to coax the best tones on our current recording, and my main goals are to get a really nice punch in the mix on some parts, and a really fat low end in other parts. I go direct in through my head, but I am feeling like it lacking some balls, and I was wondering if I could get any advice- maybe change my EQ settings on my head? Or is there something to do in logic? Should I go direct into the board?

Thanks in advance-

Remsy

2. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Avoid EQ as much as possible on both your amp and in the mix. Try your amp EQ'd flat when recording. It's likely EQ'd for the room, coming out of your cab, which is way different than what is coming through the DI. Have you tried mic'ing your cab at all? Having both a mic'd version and a DI blended on 2 separate tracks can help thicken things up. WHat is "the board" you're using? Does it have a Hi-Z instrument input?

I would think you should have no problem getting a decent tone given your equipment. Keep an eye on your levels going in too... don't push it too much (ie. stay a bit below 0dB... like -6 or so)... this can make things sound thin as well.

Getting things to fit in a mix requires carving out sonic space for each element in the mix. If you have too many things going on in that same sonic space (say guitars and kick drum competing for the same freqs as your bass), your mix will be muddied and dull. Always try to cut freqs when EQ'ing, boost only when absolutely necessary. I often roll off the low end too somewhere around 50hz to get rid of excess low rumble which also tends to affect clarity and muddy things up as well. YMMV.

Good luck.
    ---
    c

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Record DI, then add in sound.

One way is to play back through your amp while rerecording it. You can ride the knobs to change things around while it records.

But you'll get some incredible processing from VST plugins like Ampeg SVX, Voxengo Boogex, or even Free Amp 2.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    AKA "reamping"! i do it all the time. very fun.

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    +1 for Ampeg SVX. It simply sounds amazing.